fixing old friendships

Fortnite Helped My Friendship

It’s more than just a video game

30

Fortnite. It's a game that has swept the world in a hit sensation. I've never been a fan of video games since I never saw the point, but there is just something different about this one.

It all started back in April. It was getting close to finals week, and to say I was stressed is an understatement. I just felt like I had so much government get done in so little time.

I was talking to one of my friends back home, Allie, who I felt like I was losing our friendship just because we were apart for so long. There was no drama between us, but I felt like time a part just did the damage. I was having a hard time just connecting again with people back home since I felt like I didn't belong anymore or I was like some sort of outcast. I love with my college, and if I could have stayed this summer, I would have , but I had to come home. I felt like nobody would be there to even welcome me home except for my parents, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Allie was talking a lot about how she played Fortnite and how she plays with one of her new friends who is attending the Culinary Institute of America with her and lives in Las Vegas. She went on about how much fun they had. The next thing I knew, I was downloading the game onto my computer.

After that, my life changed. We now have something to talk about and create new memories with. I found something new to talk about with Allie, and also got to gain a new friend. Nathan is the most genuine guy I know. Sure, there are times where we get frustrated because of connection problems or where one of us ends up dying even before the game really begins. None of that matters to me.

Even when we're not playing Fortnite, we still talk about anything and everything. There is no hesitation whatsoever or awkwardness or a pressure to always play. It's a nice bonding opportunity for us.

It also helped take my mind off of finals. Sure, I had times where I studied like crazy for a certain exam. However, there were times when I would play, I was able to relax and and not become anxious over a test. It was nice just to sit back, play for 30 minutes, and just enjoy time with my friends.

It all feels like my friendship with Allie has gone through a renewing phase. Sure, we have changed since we saw each other before we left, but she is one of the biggest influences in my life. She was there for me in times of trouble my senior year, and I hope she feels like I've done a good job being there for her.