There's A Price For Being A Social Generation, And The Bill's Come Due

Social media: Friend or foe?

680

Attempting to recall a period in time where the internet wasn’t a thing is a difficult task for a majority of college students, probably because most students are a part of the Millennial Generation or Generation Z.

Generations that truly have grown with the internet. Due in part to the internet, the birth of Social Media has followed. Leaving these generations to know a world without leaving the confines of their homes. This leads to the question, “Has social media destroyed basic social skills?”

It isn’t anything new that people can spend hours wasting their lives on social media. According to the Washington Post, in a 2015 study, an average teenager spends six hours on social media alone. This time is spent just flipping through other’s accounts commenting, liking, sharing, etc. Scrolling their lives away.

But here is the catch, how can people create an elaborate life on the internet but never leave their houses? Comparing a person’s social skills on the internet to their social skills in real life would be like talking to two very different people. It’s clear that the internet is a different world, one that is safely navigated from the privacy of your own homes. People can talk bigger and play larger than life. This is very different from doing the same things in the real world.

It’s no surprise everything on Instagram and Facebook seems like a perfect world. Scrolling through accounts can be incredibly daunting. Especially for incoming students who feel the urge to compare themselves to others. The truth is people can photoshop and edit all their imperfections away. The people aren’t actually like that in real life. Freshly manicured and practically Insta celebs having a perfect brunch could give anyone confidence issues. Creating complete anxiety.

All of the aesthetic contributes to getting more likes and comments, but what’s the real cost? People end up spending countless amounts of money, accumulating debt because they need the latest trends and need to create an online perfect life. College students do not need to accumulate more debt on top of college tuition.

Yes social media sucks, but it’s not all bad when it is really searched for it. Most incoming college freshmen can relate to that it is easier in finding roommates because of social media. It gives a sort of sense of security seeing a person's whole life on just one account. It’s like knowing the person before actually seeing them face to face.

In reality, what happened to being able to appreciate and enjoy life. What happened to the fun in actually meeting people face to face. There are numerous benefits of social media.

It’s great getting a feel for a people or places before ever meeting or going, but people can gain the anxiety of trying to measure up to other. Social media is one of the many silent killers, the killer of social skills.