To The Incoming College Freshmen, These Will Be The Best Years Of Your Life

Go out to school events, and games, enjoy your college career. Oh and study hard!

21972
Graciela Vasquez

Dear Freshman,

Congratulations! You have completed 14 years that prepared you for this. You're entering a new home with liberty and confusion. You no longer have mom and dad waking you up for school in the mornings. It is your turn to take responsibility and know what time to go to sleep. Now you have to cook your own meals and wash your own laundry. This episode may be scary but could be the best years of your life.

Promptly, you may reuse the same clothes for two reasons: one, no one cares what you wear in college, and two, there's a legitimate chance that you won't see the same people on Monday and Tuesday classes. Make friends in the classroom, you never know when it'll be useful. It's good to have someone to ask questions whenever the professor isn't accessible and hold study groups.

Pay attention. Do not forget you are paying for school now. You are paying for your grade so remember if you get below a sixty, that you are paying for that sixty. Do not purchase your textbooks before the first day of class. I admit, I had six books assigned to my classes for the second semester of freshman year but only bought one. Until this day I have been fine without all five. I would not start buying books until the second week of classes if necessary.

Get involved! Join groups that involve your major, or volunteer in community service. You are building a resume for your career so it is crucial. You might encounter your best friend through organizations, who knows.

It's OK to feel lonely, and it's OK to miss home. It's OK to call mom whenever you're experiencing stress, we've all experienced this our first year of college. Attending any welcome events that your campus hosts will make you feel better and find friends.

Recognize what is right. It may seem like everyone is partying and drinking. Don't be pressured to do any of these things if they don't feel right. There are students who find no fun in any of these activities, so don't feel left out.

This one is essential: know when to say no. Homework first, then the fun. No more setting assignments aside, your GPA matters here. The last thing you want is to be in academic suspension.

Attend office hours. Show your professors that you care about your grades. If you're unsatisfied with a grade, say it. Discuss it during office hours. Do not be afraid to reach out. Who knows, you might get a bump to your final grade.

And lastly, it's OK if you have no idea what you want to pursue in life. College is all about independence and finding yourself. You will thrive in college and acquire new knowledge. Go out to school events, and games, enjoy your college career. Oh and study hard!