To The Girl Who Was More Than Just a Roommate

You saved me more than you know.

526
Katlynn Rosenberry

Nothing made me more excited, anxious, or worried than meeting you.

I'd never shared a room with anyone, I didn't have a sister to teach me what living with another girl would be like, and I was so scared that you and I would hate each other. After seven months of living with each other, I can't believe I ever thought we wouldn't get along. You were my first real friend at Penn State; we were inseparable.

For someone I barely knew, I let you see me cry on the first day we met, which was a big deal to me. I later found out that you were the same way. In fact, we were almost exactly the same; except that you love the cold and I absolutely despise it. They always say people who have similar personalities clash with each other, but that couldn't have been further from the truth for us.

It's strange how two people – who have never met before and don't know anything about each other – can get thrown together and make it seem like they've known each other forever.

To say I am thankful for getting you as a roommate would be an understatement. You were not the horror roommate that I thought I would end up with. Between staying up til two in the morning, going for breakfast every Saturday and Sunday, getting dressed up to go out on a Friday night, letting me drag you to almost every volleyball game (and some football games), doing face masks on our free nights, and holding each other as we cried (and trust me, that happened a lot), I think it's safe to say I made a lifelong friend with you. You helped me through things I didn't know that I could handle until you showed me I could.

You always had my back, and I always had yours. I don't think I could have made it through freshman year without someone as supportive, funny, and caring as you are.

You were the person I needed to come into my life before I even knew that I needed you. You deserve the biggest "thank you" for dealing with my craziness; I know it was hard sometimes. Here's to the many more late night food runs, crying sessions over how stupid boys are, and growing our friendship even more in the next three years. I can't wait to see you again.