Why you should consider going into freelance writing.

12 Reasons Why Freelance Writing Is The Best Kind Of Writing

Freelancing is the best, regardless if you're being paid - it would be nice to get paid, though.

54

As a double major, freelancing has always been one thing I'd consider as a full-time career, but then again, freelancing can only take you so far. However, the pros do outweigh the cons!

1. You can choose any topic you like.

Yes, I know. Choosing a topic for pretty much anything can be quite overwhelming. However, with a generator, your creative juices, and enough wine and cheese, you'll definitely be able to knock it out of the park!

2. The pay is sometimes good, and sometimes bad

Of course, when writing a listicle the cons have to be pointed out. Sure, writing for free may be a great way to prepare yourself for the real world, but after a while, you may feel that compensation needs to awarded after a job well done.

3. You can get noticed for your work.

Being discovered and noticed are two different things in my book. Being discovered essentially means 15 minutes of fame for someone who may not be a serious writer, but for the one who is serious, they have much more access to being noticed by bigger, broader audiences, especially potential clients, for later work.

4. There is no deadline...hardly ever.

Believe it or not, most freelance jobs don't have a specific deadline.

5. You work when YOU want.

YES, GIRL! You heard that right! As a freelancer, you have the power to work around your schedule of when you want to work.

6. Freelancing is also a side-hustle!

Please, do not take offense to the gif I chose to use, it is only a way to grab your attention. However, now that I have grabbed it, I encourage you to make it more than... just... a hobby.

7. It's okay to not get the first assignment right away.

Believe it or not, many first time freelancers, like myself, struggle to get to that pivotal moment where we can officially say we made it, and trust me you will make it.

8. You network real easy with other writers.

You network with writers that share the same interests with you or might write about the same topics as you. Don't be afraid to collab with them... Which reminds me.

9. COLLABORATE!

Collaborate, collaborate, and collaborate! It can be hard working as a solo freelancer, so don't be afraid to give those connections a message or call (do people still do that anymore?) and tell them about an idea you had whilst eating an apple. Freelancing solo is difficult, create a strong group of collaborators and get to work!

10. Don't be negative, be critical.

It's quite easy to come across as negative, especially in this day and age. If you are not smart enough or know enough about a certain topic, stay out of it. What you say could come as negative if you have no sources to back you up. Instead, be critical about things you do know.

11. Be yourself.

Don't be someone you are not in your articles, no one wants another Perez Hilton (he is awesome, btw!). People want you, and only you.

12. Keep looking for gigs!

Even after you've completed a project, finished up a contract with a company, wrote your final guest blog post for the year, keep searching for work to help prepare for the next phase of assignments. Write all assignments down in a planner, and keep writing in your free time!

Freelance writing is a great field to go into, regardless of what you may have studied in college, or if you have never been. Freelance writing is for anyone and everyone, as long as you can handle the stress and successes that come out of it.