Four Ways To Safely Celebrate Thanksgiving With Your Loved Ones This Year

Just because the CDC is suggesting against Thanksgiving travel this year doesn't mean you need to be separated from your family!

18

We are now experiencing what experts are calling the "second wave" of COVID-19 cases. With the colder weather forcing more people to stay inside coupled with flu season, the United States' infection rate is at an all-time high. The CDC has strongly urged that individuals not travel this Thanksgiving in order to reduce the spread of coronavirus. However, this doesn't mean that all Thanksgiving plans have to be completely scrapped. Here are some ways you can safely connect with your loved ones during this difficult time.

Celebrate only with the people in your household.

Instead of inviting over all the cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents, you can still celebrate Thanksgiving with your immediate family so that new germs won't enter the house. Sure, it'll be a smaller affair, but it'll ultimately keep everyone safe. And, there will be less dishes to do afterwards! Don't live with your parents? Have a Friendsgiving with your roommate(s)!

Have a Zoomsgiving!

Zoom announced that for Thanksgiving Day, there will be no 40-minute minimum for its free meetings. Send out a Zoom link to your family so you can all be with each other at the same time without actually being with each other! Don't want to talk about politics at the virtual dinner table? If you're the host, you can simply mute your racist uncle.

Utilize extensions like Netflix Party to watch holiday classics.

Google Chrome offers a number of browser extensions that allow multiple users to watch a video at the same time, from Netflix movies to YouTube videos. Start a watch party and throw on your family's favorite movies. Or, if you want a much-needed laugh, you can pull up some funny Vine-compilations.

Drop Thanksgiving food off at your loved one's doors.

I've been doing this myself even before the holidays since my grandmother isn't seeing anyone in person. This way, you can share your favorite Thanksgiving foods without having to come into direct contact with anyone who might be immunocompromised. Make sure to sanitize your hands and wear a proper mask when preparing the food, and individually package each item you give out.