4 Things You May Relate To A Little TOO Much, If You're An 'Old Soul'

I've always been told that I'm an old soul, and I relate to these things every day.

167
Jenna Reed

Have you ever been called an "old soul" by someone around you? Do you ever feel like one? Well here are four things that you may feel or that may happen if you're an "old soul."

1. You just don’t connect with people your own age

Having an old soul, it gives you a different outlook on life, one that is outside the comprehensive realm of most of the people who are the same age as you. Because of the whole “old soul” thing, it kind of gives you that constant feeling of the outsider looking in. You view life in a bigger picture sort of way, that people your own age don’t see, and because of this, you really just don’t relate.

2. You lose a lot of friends over time

(Refer back to #1 as a common cause of #2.) You find someone you kinda, sorta connect with, and you become “fast friends." However, the problem with fast friends is that you most, if not always, will be likely to lose that fast friend at some point within the time of your friendship. Often times when you lose a friend who you really thought you had a connection with, it sucks for sure. But, you grow to realize that it isn’t necessarily because of you, it’s because the lack of a spiritual relationship in the friendship, makes it so they move on from you to someone who is more similar to them.

3. You love deeply and hurt deeply

I always find myself loving deeply. Whether it be the friends I have, or with my family, I have a love for people so deep that it can sometimes be overwhelming. I personally have nieces and nephews who I love like they’re my own little babies. I look at all of them and think, “I would throw myself into a meteor that was plunging to the earth if it meant protecting you.” However, the problem with loving so deeply, can be hurting so deeply as well. You have so much love in your heart but because of your big heart, your empathy and sensitivity creates a hurt that can be deeper than you ever imagined.

4. You feel like you’re missing something

The feeling of “missing something” as an old soul, can be confusing. You feel lonely because you have few friends, you feel disconnected with those around you and sometimes feel as though you’re missing out on things, you feel many different things are missing, but at the same time you are content with the feeling of something being “missing.” Being in college like me, you are surrounded by a world of parties, oftentimes drugs and alcohol that those close to you may call “adventures” and “living”, but because you see the world in a different light you look past “missing out” on things like that and you are content with missing it because you know the better choice.

Being an old soul, isn’t always an easy thing to be. It’s lonely, sometimes hurtful and can make you feel like a chicken in a flock of turkeys, but you possess traits that some around you will never have. Traits of empathy, deep love, a connection to those much older than you, and there is nothing wrong with being an “old soul”.

Signed,

An old soul girl