5 Countries Who Do Better At Christmas Than The US
Education

5 Foreign Christmas Traditions We Need To Adopt RIGHT NOW

Other countries are doing this Christmas thing right!

80
Flickr

Everyone wants to believe Christmas is OUR thing in America, but other countries celebrate the holiday, too, and frankly, some do it a lot better than we do. Here are 5 customs or traditions worldwide that are SUPER cool

1. Rollerblading to mass- Venezuela

Going to mass Christmas Eve and Day is a common practice, but Venezuelans go one step forward- rollerblading there! Anyone physically able participates and it contributes to community participation. Roads will often be closed around churches throughout the holiday.

2.Book exchange- Iceland

In Iceland, which produces the most books in the world, people gift each other books on Christmas Eve. Everyone is supposed to spend the night in bed reading, and as such, it makes sure everyone goes to sleep peaceful for the holiday.

3.Relaxing on Christmas- United Kingdom

Cooking and cleaning on Christmas is discouraged in the United Kingdom. Often, festivities are held on Christmas Eve, and if possible, food and home preparation should be done before the holiday even begins. (My pen-pal in the UK said she plays games and orders pizza with her family Christmas Eve)

4.Lantern Festival- Philippines

What started as a simple oragami paper and candle creation contest has become an elaborate competition between the 11 provinces of the country where people work together to make works of lights, motion, and occasionally music. The creations can be up to 6 meters wide, and the lanterns are paraded through the streets of the capitol.

5. Krampus- Austria (and other countries)

This is a pretty well-known concept, but in case you do not know, Krampus is Saint Nicholas' counterpart who punishes naughty children. While Santa just delivers coal, Krampus eats bad children if they are naughty enough.

Which custom do you wish the United States adopted?