When Things Get Tough, Focus Your Attention On The Little Things That Make Life Good

"Find one thing that doesn't suck at hold onto it."
78

A few days ago I saw a quote on Facebook that has really stuck with me. It said:

"Note to self: Find one small thing that doesn't suck and hold onto it. You may surprise yourself by finding more to add to the pile. Like, today is terrible but purple pens exist. And new books. And chocolate chip cookies. And people who say thanks when you hold the door. And lights that turn green as soon as you pull up. And the glorious smell of coffee even when it's the just-okay kind. When the going is rough, start small." -Nanea Hoffman

Sometimes I have days where I'm convinced it's just really not my day. I spilled my cup of coffee and walked up to the train platform as soon as the train pulled away. I forgot about a homework assignment and I have so many things to do in one day I need a 30-hour day to complete it all.

These are small inconveniences in the grand scheme of things, but we tend to forget that in the midst of our bad days. I wish I didn't take things for granted. I wish I appreciated my life and the people in my life more. Unfortunately, I'm only human. We take for granted the wonderful people in our lives and we take for granted the roof over our head and the food in our fridge.

So when human nature takes over and I start complaining about a bad day, I try to hold onto the little things. For me, it's coffee, books, fuzzy blankets, and candles.

We all need something little to hold onto when we have bad days.

Preferably something tangible. We aren't supposed to rely on material things, but let me tell you, sometimes you just have to physically hold onto something to ground yourself.

With everything that has been going on recently, I feel bad complaining about what I have considered a "bad day."

I almost didn't write this article this week because I didn't want to make it seem like a freaking purple pen will make everything better. I decided that writing this article was important, especially now, there is so much bad in this world. I wish with all my heart there was a little more love in the world, but for now I'm going to hold onto my purple pens, fuzzy blankets, and trying to put as much positive energy into the world as possible.