Catching A Virus in College

Catching A Virus in College

Tips & tricks to make surviving a virus more manageable

12
Catching A Virus in College
Wise Geek

It's the best month (October) and I managed to catch a virus. This year being my first semester of college, this is the first time that I've been sick and not been at a location that I could easily get home from. I'm here in Texas-- 1,500 miles from home. I can't just hop on a plane just because I'm under the weather. So, I've compiled this list in hopes to help out other students as the first virus comes around.

1. Make a Doctor's Appointment

Whether it's at the on-campus health center or an off-campus provider, meeting with a doctor helps determine the illness and get the right medications prescribed.

2. Stock Up on the Necessities

What's the best thing for a sore throat? Soup & Tea. The most important part of this tip is the stocking up of the necessities, because I cannot tell you that going to the store every time you want more soup, is a hassle.

3. Email Professors

Communication with professors is important, ALWAYS. If you're feeling ill and need to take a break, do so. It's important to not push yourself too hard. Sometimes, rest is the best medicine. If you decide to miss a class, email the professor.

4. Take Care of Yourself

There are things we all do during a time of illness. I like to curl up in a big blanket with some green tea from Jo's and watch Netflix. I like to take long, hot showers too. Find something relaxing for yourself, other than sleep to help make being at home a little less dragging.

5. Continue to Be Responsible

For me at least, it's easy to get ill and just be in bed 24/7 until I feel better. This was possible back home when someone, like my mom would be sweet enough to take care of me and make soup for me. Being in college is a lot different, no one other than you or a really kind roommate is going to take care of you. If you have appointments, go to them or cancel in advance. If you have homework, do it. It's important to not fall behind because it will lead to a lot more stress once you're healthier.

Having a cold right now is going to suck, but remember it will go away. Take care of yourself in the meantime and get some rest!