Finally, Florida Passes Some Form Of A Gun Control

Almost a month after the devastating high school massacre in Parkland, Florida, Governor Rick Scott signed a Senate bill on gun control legislation into law.

200
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/09/636562307085978299-1664152104_March_on_Washington_for_Gun_Control_038.JPG

The new state law, appropriately called the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, bans the sale of bump stocks, raises the age required to purchase a gun from 18 to 21, and provides funding to arm school security officers.

The law also allows law enforcement to confiscate firearms from those that are "mentally unfit." While many see this as a step in the right direction, teachers are particularly weary of the new law because of its provision to arm them as long as the school district and local police consent to it.

Students and survivors of the Parkland shooting say that the law does not go far enough. Hoping for a ban on assault weapons, they feel the bill falls short by only raising the legal age.

For Republican lawmakers, however, the bill goes too far. In addition, the NRA is strongly against the banning of bump stocks and raise in age to purchase a firearm, issues and topics they have been all too vocal about. Being a Republican himself, this law could effect Scott in the upcoming Midterm elections in November.