5 Things Every Dance Major Is Tired Of Hearing

Please, take notes.

85
Lisette Poole

I think every dance major can agree that these are some of the most irritating comments we hear on a regular basis. If you're not a dance major, please take notes.

1. I wish my major was just dancing around all day!

Yeah, we definitely don't have to write essays, complete readings, take movement and written exams (partially in French if it's ballet), attend and analyze performances or take GER courses like everyone else. We're not exhausted or covered in bruises from the hours of dancing every day either, nope not at all.

2. What are you going to do with a degree like that?

Hmm lets see, you can be a professional dancer, a dance teacher, an artistic director, a choreographer, a guest artist, teach community classes, a professor, start a dance company, open a studio, etc. Fun fact: a lot of corporations like dance majors because we're taught to have a good work ethic, know more about how to give and receive criticism, and know how to work well in group settings – that means if we double major (as most dancers do) we'll have a leg up on other applicants for a cooperate job.

3. You must be so flexible! *wink*

While that may be true, you will never see it first hand. Sorry, tinder boy #5478, that line doesn't work.

4. You can dance? Show me some moves!

No, I will not dance in the middle of the library for you. Do you realize how weird of a request that is? If you really want to see, come to a show! We always love new faces in the audience.

5.) You're so lucky your major is a workout!

Fun fact #2: dancers should work out in the gym regularly and take a somatic class (Pilates, Yoga, or Alexander Technique) on top of their regular technique classes. Yes, our major is a workout, but that doesn't mean we're not supposed to work out just as much if not more than others. Also, because our major requires so much physical activity we're always sore and tired. You're the lucky one, my friend.

Dancers - don't be discouraged by the comments. Everyone else - avoid saying these things, please and thank you. Hard work pays off regardless of your major, so keep doin' what you love.