5 Musicals You Need To Check Out That Are NOT 'Hamilton'

Here are some incredible shows and songs that you need to add to your playlists!

184

In the two years since Lin-Manuel Miranda's mega hit "Hamilton" opened on Broadway, musical theatre has become increasingly more mainstream. More and more people from Hollywood have expressed interest in being in and seeing as many shows as they can.

Beyoncé recently visited "Dear Evan Hansen" and "Aladdin" while in Manhattan. Over the summer, Panic! At The Disco frontman Brendon Urie donned thigh high-heeled boots in "Kinky Boots." The cast of "Hamilton" gave a performance during the 2016 Grammy Awards broadcast that brought viewers all over the country to their feet.

However, while "Hamilton" is incredible, there are hundreds of other musicals that are just as good or, dare I say, better. Here are just five of those incredible shows:

1. "Dear Evan Hansen"

Possessing a score written by super duo Pasek and Paul, the same masterminds behind the music of "La La Land", and a book guaranteed to rip your heart out, "Dear Evan Hansen" is the perfect low-key musical that everyone can relate to. The story deals with tough topics like anxiety, drug abuse and teen suicide while still maintaining a light and inspiring energy. While this show is currently on Broadway, starring Pitch Perfect star Ben Platt, getting tickets is nearly impossible, much like Hamilton. However, the soundtrack is available on iTunes and most streaming services. It is definitely the perfect album to listen to while curled up in your bed on a rainy day or when you need an emotional pick-me-up after a rough day.

2. "In The Heights"

Before "Hamilton", Miranda wrote and starred in another Tony Award Winning rap musical. "In The Heights" is perfect for anyone who wants to expand their knowledge of musical theatre, but still wants to enjoy some quality hip-hop and rap influenced music. The story centers around a group of Hispanic people living in Washington Heights, New York and all that goes on during their everyday life. Some of the cast members from "Hamilton" such as Chris Jackson (George Washington) got their start with Miranda in the show and their vocals can be found on the cast recording. It's the perfect feel-good musical with exciting tracks like "96,000" and "When You're Home" that will make you want to get up and dance.

3. "Waitress"

One of the most incredible shows who's success got eclipsed by the hysteria surrounding "Hamilton" was the musical adaption of Adrienne Shelley's 2007 film by the same name, "Waitress." Smart, funny and packed with tons of girl power, the show centers around a young woman named Jenna with an insane talent for baking pies at a local diner where she works as a waitress. Her world is turned upside down when she realizes that she is pregnant with her abusive husband's baby and with the help of her two best friends, Becky and Dawn, she finds the strength to get out of the horrible relationship and find herself again. The score is written by Grammy nominated singer Sara Bareilles and features both pop and country influences. Some of the biggest standouts on the album are "She Used To Be Mine", "I Didn't Plan It" and "Bad Idea." The show is still playing on Broadway every single day with great success and I highly recommend getting tickets if you can.

4. "Rent"

The original mega-hit musical that crossed over to more mainstream audiences was Jonathan Larson's 1996 rock opera "Rent." The show deals with topics that are still relevant in our society today, such as drug abuse, LGTBQ+ rights and dealing with HIV/AIDS. The plot revolves around a group of friends in the East Village of Manhattan struggling with poverty, disease and trying to find love and happiness. The score is composed of all rock influenced songs that you could definitely rock out to while driving down an open highway. Miranda has cited the show as one of his biggest influences while writing "Hamilton" and a lot of the songs were used in popular TV shows. You may remember the reworking of "Seasons of Love" from Michael's farewell episode on "The Office." While that version is great, there are so many songs, such as "One Song Glory" and "La Vie Boheme" that definitely deserve a listen as well.

5. Spring Awakening

If you were a fan of "Glee" back in high school (or still are now), you may have heard of the 2006 Duncan Sheik composed musical before. The show was the first big break for "Glee" star Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) and "Hamilton" and "Frozen" star, Jonathan Groff (King George in the Original Cast of "Hamilton"). The show features a stunning alternative rock and folk influenced score that will have you dancing all over your room for one song and in tears during the next. It focuses around teenage sexuality and discusses heavy and sensitive topics such as sexual abuse, rape, depression and suicide. While the show itself is set in the late 19th century, the score is anything but dated with incredible numbers like "Don't Do Sadness", "The Dark I Know Well" and everyone's anthem when they start their essay the night before its due, "Totally F***ed."