Five Musicals You MUST See

Five Musicals You MUST See

These shows will make you love theatre!

75
Five Musicals You MUST See
Google Images

Theatre is such a beautiful art form that is very underrated. As a girl who loves theatre, I wanted to share a couple of my favorite musicals. This is a list of the most entertaining and fun musicals that both musical lovers and novice theatre goers can both enjoy!

Newsies

This is my all time favorite musical. Newsies is such an upbeat, fun show that filled with catchy music and incredible dancing. This musical is based off the Disney movie of "Newsies," which followed the Newsboys Strike of 1899 in NYC. The plot is interesting and easy to follow, and all of the cute newsboys tap dancing, flipping, and singing doesn’t hurt either.

Wicked

A classic musical, Wicked is a show that has beautiful music, a compelling storyline, and memorable characters. I just saw Wicked for the first time in November, and it was one of the most amazing shows I’ve seen, especially the song “Defying Gravity.” Even those who may not enjoy theatre typically, would probably like this show due to the quirky characters and connection to "The Wizard of Oz."

Something Rotten

Another show that I consider one of my all time favorites is Something Rotten. This musical is set in the Renaissance period, and is full of hilarious antics, fun characters, drama, and an undeniably catchy soundtrack. Especially if you are a fan of Shakespeare and literature, this musical will easily become one of your favorites.

Book of Mormon

Although this musical is very offensive to a wide array of people, it is one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen. I was laughing non-stop because of songs like “Turn It Off” and “Hasa Diga Eebowai” along with other spoken lines that would disgust some audiences. If you attend this show, be prepared to encounter some sac-religious content, but also be prepared to laugh your butt off!

Mary Poppins

A classic movie turned into an energetic musical, Mary Poppins is such a fun show. It is so magical to watch Mary Poppins fly across the stage or see Burt and the other chimney sweeps up on the rooftops dancing and jumping around. This is the perfect musical for a family to attend or a group of friends who want a little magic!

These are just 5 of my favorite musicals that almost everyone is guaranteed to love. The music, dancing, and sets in these shows are incredible and they highlight why theatre is such an amazing form of art.