What No One Tells You When Starting A Fitness Journey

82

Deciding to start out on a fitness journey is one of the best decisions I have made. However, it involved a lot of tears, smiles, happiness and sadness. Before starting out on my journey, I wish I was more educated about what actually happens and not how perfect it is on Instagram. With that being said, here is what no one tells you before starting your fitness journey.

Don't Expect Changes Over Night 

*Does one sit up* *Checks to see if abs have developed*

Going into your fitness journey with this mindset will set you up for failure. I'm sure you are familiar with the term "good things come to those who wait," which couldn't be more true. Learn to love the body you currently have, so you can love your new one even more.

Weight Fluctuations Are Normal 

If you're anything like me, in the beginning you will weigh yourself at least once a day. Also if you're like me and if you suddenly see the scale go up even half a pound you have a nervous breakdown. DON'T be like me. Weight fluctuations are normal and can happen for various reason like water intake, sodium intake or you ate more carbs than usual.

Ditch The "Quick Fixes"

Celebs posting advertisements regarding "quick fixes" to lose weight are almost always scam and should be avoided at all costs. No tea or shake can make you lose 10 pounds in 1 week. Instead, put in the time and effort and you will see results, just not as fast.

Your Journey is YOUR Journey 

Checking Instagram to see the latest post from a fitness model and comparing yourself is the first thing you should stop doing. Comparing yourself to others is no way to live life, especially when a fitness journey is something that you should be doing to yourself.

Stay Consistent 

Working out and eating healthy on and off with not get you the results you are looking for. Allow yourself one cheat meal a week, and the other 6 days try to eat as clean as possible and work out as much as you can. Staying consistent will not only make you look better but feel better.

Nutrition Is Key 

Weight loss is generally 75% diet and 25% exercise. While having a consistent exercise regimen that you stick to, diet is even more important. Find a meal plan that works for your body and your goals while keeping it simple enough that you are apt to follow.

Don't Let Gym Fear Get The Best Of You

Thinking that everyone in the gym is staring at you is common. Although, I can assure that they are too focused on what they are doing, as I am sure you have been told. But seriously!

Also, if you are unsure of how to do an exercise or use a machine ask the front desk! They are always more than willing to help you out. Don't be afraid of not only the gym but the people in the gym as well.

Remembering your "why"

Remembering your "why" is SO important. Throughout your fitness journey you will lose motivation and even maybe gain some weight experimenting with trial and error. Constantly reminding yourself of your "why" will make sure that you don't give up. Even the days that you want to give up the most, your "why" will always be there to remind you why you started.

My "why" is that I want to be a better and stronger me. What's yours?