What It's Like To Be The First Member Of My Family To (Hopefully) Finish College

College or no college- one does not dictate your success, nor is the same decision right for everyone.

13
There is a weird feeling when entering college. Finally being on your own and going anywhere without having to tell your family (unless your family still tracks you). Though, another thought came into mind when I decided to talk about college to my parents. When I discussed the subject of college to my parents, they mentioned how they never finished college. My father did not even finish a semester while my mother finished barely a year. They were not married at the time nor had they met each other, but they both believed that for what they wanted to do, a college education was not in mind at that moment.
This surprised me since they would always mention how college is very important to succeed. Even though I am in college, I believe college is not for everyone. It depends on what you want to do; if you want to become a real estate agent then you study the books for three months and then take the exam. Want to become a pilot? Go to flight school and acquire all your hours and what you need to succeed. Colleges do provide degrees that will help you improve your chances of getting into these fields which is very convenient.
So, when I heard this news from my parents, I realized I would be the first potential member of the family to complete college. I have an older brother but he also realized college was not necessary for him and what he wanted to do. Instead, he decided to move to Oregon and he is currently doing what he loves to do, all without a college education.
With all of these thoughts in my head, it makes me wonder about how important college really is. As a society, we think it is normal and necessary for people to go to college in order to succeed. If you do not attend college, we FAIL! All this pressure of failing without a college education is wrong and inaccurate.
I personally wanted to attend college since I wanted to experience it and enhance my business skills. Though, I probably would not have gone to college if it were not for the experience it has given me already.
I am not influencing anyone to think that college is useless or whatever, but if you do not attend college, there is nothing wrong with that. If you drop out, there is nothing wrong, college is not for everyone. Do not feel pressured, because there is no need, you will succeed in whatever route you take! I am fortunate to have a supportive family in whatever decision I make and I am forever grateful for that. They never encouraged me to attend college or not attend college. I was the one who decided that college would be beneficial to my career development.
Do it for you, not anyone else!