Finding Inspiration

Finding Inspiration

Finding Creativity with Writer's Block

15
Finding Inspiration

As an aspiring writer, I ache for a constant influx of ideas.

Writer's block is what some would call it as I struggle to produce new pieces week by week. But I've come to realize it's my lifestyle that has hindered my motivation and creativity.

As I list these steps, I hope it produces inspiration and creative ideas for myself and others.

1. Read

Read articles, stories, novels, poetry, anything and everything that offers new perspectives and evoke emotions. Emotions lead to differing states of imagination that just might spark creativity to produce new works.

2. Keep to a Routine

Try setting a time to sleep and wake up. Try exercising and setting a time to do that. When you stick to a routine, you spend less time figuring out the time for specific activities. Instead of spending time figuring out your daily schedule, that energy can be spent thinking of new ideas. Routines allow for less distractions and stress, giving you space to think outside of the box.

3. Get Rid of Distractions

This particularly refers to your smart devices. Smartphones are a distraction because even though you can do research and find inspiration on the internet, it's also really easy to get distracted, especially because we receive notifications on our phones. Putting your phone on Do Not Disturb and stow it away for a few hours. Without the temptation to check your device, you just might come up with the next best piece of work.

4. Go Somewhere Where You Can Focus and Think

Maybe you work best in quiet settings. Working outside in a natural setting removes you from the stress of the movement of things and people around you. Whether its a cafe or park, choose a setting that allows you to focus and think. Or maybe watching people walking past you from a cafe window sparks creative ideas for stories. If you don't know what to produce for your next piece, find inspiration in the world around you.

5. Listen to the World Around You

By immersing yourself in a situation where you can think without distractions, you can then think about, process, and observe the world and people around you. How do things and people interact? What influences certain behaviors and actions? Listen to the sounds around you; natural sounds and artificial sounds of machinery. Compare and contrast the opposing forces of the world around you.

6. Try New Activities

Immerse yourself in new crafts. Maybe pick up a new hobby. Try painting, yoga, or ceramics. Arts and crafts allow for creativity that can spark ideas in other aspects. It's also therapeutic and calming. Trying new outlets of creativity just might lead to creativity in familiar outlets.

7. Talk with People

Listen to the stories of others. Listen to the feedback of others. Don't be afraid to share your creative works, and listen to the response you receive. It can help you improve your existing ideas and works, or it could lead to new and better ideas. Constantly try to improve and step out of your comfort zone.