Finding a Forever Home

Finding a Forever Home

10
Finding a Forever Home
http://www.theprospect.net/the-ultimate-guide-to-sorority-recruitment-28370

With recruitment fast approaching finding the right house and finding your new best friend are on the minds of both initiated sisters and girls rushing. Here are a few ways to make recruitment a positive experience for everyone. 

Recruitment is an exiting time of year for those rushing and initiated sisters. Though many of us tend to have a love/hate relationship with this exciting time of year, you shouldn’t. This is an opportunity for initiated members to rediscover why they went to the house they did, and for girls who are rushing to find out why they should join your organization. This is how to make recruitment exciting for others, and how to rediscover why you chose your organization. 

For you new students, who are about to embark on the craziest journey of your lives, welcome. For those of you relearning and discovering new things about your sorority, be excited. Coming back early from summer vacation last year, early, felt like the worst punishment ever. I decided though on my 15 hour drive back to my home away from home that I was going to make the best of it and try to show everyone why we were the best. So here are 5 ways to love recruitment as a sister and rushee. 

1. Make New Friends. Coming back early means prep time for recruitment. You will practice every part of recruitment. Get to know your sisters, ask them fun questions to help break up the tedium. If you are rushing, talk to other girls in your group. They will help you get through this week and will be going through the same process as you are.   

2. Get Comfortable. For new and old alike make sure your outfits for recruitment are ready. With outfits you want to make sure everything fits right and that you won't have to be fixing it all day. I like to hang mine on my closet door in order to save time getting ready in the morning. For someone rushing there will be set types of outfits worn on different days. When in doubt ask your recruitment chair or recruitment counselor. When you are comfortable in your own skin or clothes, it will be a lot easier to get excited about and feel comfortable during recruitment. 

3. Get Sleep. I know this seems like a stretch for sisters, we have a lot of setting up to do and meetings to attend.  As soon as you're done for the day though, do not go out or exacerbate your sleep deprivation, even though it may be tempting. Same goes for rushees- get sleep. Without sleep you could get sick, just think about all those hands your shaking. (This thought makes me want to bathe in Purell.) While defending you from germs you will also have more energy improving a mood that could be lesser if without. 

4. Know Your Information. If you're a sister, know the ins and outs of your organization. Relearning this information can help you to reaffirm your decision to join (I know this was true for me). For those rushing make sure you have varying, new facts about yourself (that you didn't include on your Information sheet). Think about this like a job interview, we've read your resumé, now we want to know what you can bring to the table. 

5. Know Yourself. If you don't want to participate, find a way that you can still give 150%. I have many friends in my sorority who will request to work behind the scenes because meeting and talking to people is something they do not enjoy. This is great, in fact your recruitment chair probably needs more help than she has. This is a way that you can contribute and be happy about doing it. If you are just dreading the process, because it is taking away from your summer or another event you want to attend, find a way to make it fun for you. I made up an outfit bingo game last year (I won) that made the time go a lot quicker.  

Above all else have fun with your sisters and new friends. This is the start of a new chapter in your life or the start to another year with your wonderful sisters. Happy Recruitment Season!