Finals Week: Slacker Style

Finals Week: Slacker Style

Why study when you can buy chicken nuggets instead?

21
Finals Week: Slacker Style

I have never been the type of individual to stress out over an exam. Though my parents may argue otherwise, I have never had a problem with taking a non-standardized test. I don’t get nervous and I try my best, accepting the outcome for what it is because it’s probably the outcome I deserve. However, I am a slacker. I hate doing work and enjoy being lazy, as seen when I am rushing through my homework at the end of the week. Therefore, my first week of finals should be interesting. People tell me they are something I should begin studying for weeks in advance. Not to mention, they are completely different from high school (in their opinion, anyways). Maybe I will end the semester with a decent grade in every class I am enrolled in or maybe I will end the week crying in the backseat of my parent’s car?

Sunday

The first day of the week was usually the day in which I attempt to complete homework from the following week in the quickest amount of time possible. However, it was a bit weird knowing I didn’t have any because finals week was about to begin. Over the weekend, I viewed numerous social media platforms where my old friends from high school and new acquaintances in college were complaining about how much they had to study. I was and still am very confused by all the complaining because I didn’t anticipate finals to be any harder than what they were in high school. My finals included a project for my literature class (which I have already completed) and two non-cumulative multiple choice exams. Maybe I was graced with good luck for once or maybe I was just too sleep-deprived and stupid to realize that I was going to be screwed over? At that point in time, it was too early to tell.

Monday

Honestly, I don’t even remember what I did today. I remember the food in the dining hall was pretty disappointing, so my friends and I went to the mall and bought Chick-fil-A and donuts. I think I edited some psychology notes as well, which brought me one step closer to actually being a responsible college student and adult. However, I realize I didn’t do that after looking them over because each page was still full with amounts of useless information I thought was necessary while hearing it in lecture. Luckily, my notes for my social media class were organized. I studied for that exam, which was a solid decision because that’s the class with a final in the morning. Thinking about it, I should have stayed in my dorm and studied more. The chicken nuggets were calling my name, and one can never disobey the call of the nuggets.

Tuesday

I woke up realizing I was screwed. The eight hours I spent the previous night weren’t going to help me answer twenty multiple choice and five short answer questions in any way possible. One thing I actually remembered from my psychology class was that cramming does not help in enhancing one’s ability to recall important information. Did I still try to do it anyways? Of course, I did. I’m a college student, so I am obligated to attempt cramming information about online vigilantes and the future of social media into my brain. However, I arrived at my test and after looking at the first question, I exhaled a sigh of relief. It wasn’t any different that my previous exams in the class, and I think this was the first time I left the testing area feeling confident in my grade. If only I felt the same way about my psychology class...

Wednesday

I thought to myself that if I made myself look good, I would feel good and look forward to the activities I had planned out for the day (studying). Did I look good? No. Did I feel good? Negative. Honestly, I spent close to twenty minutes attempting to make myself look semi-approachable when I could’ve been sleeping or shoving chocolate down my throat. I also had to move out of my dorm room today, taking up a majority of my afternoon. I can’t complain too much because it’s not like I would have studied anyways, even though I should have. At this point in time (the time I am writing this lovely article), I still have yet to study. I’ll get around to it eventually, but now I have to figure out where to store my hair supplies in my new closet.

Thursday

First off, whose bright idea was it to schedule a final at seven in the morning? Second, what’s wrong with the people who agreed that it was a bright idea to schedule a final at seven in the morning? College students need sleep, people. Very few individuals have the talent to function properly before seven in the morning, myself being one of these people. I have no ability to remember information about social psychology and the different theories of development on a normal day, so how do the professors expect me to be able to remember it while it looks like it’s the middle of the night outside? Obviously, the complaints didn’t affect the professors and the university because almost every student enrolled in the class still showed up to take the final. I took my final just fine - nothing more abnormal than usual. This time was different, though. I know most people say that almost every time they take a test, but this time was really different because I felt like I did absolutely horrible on it. I didn’t study as much as I should have, and it’s pretty obvious based on what I did the past few days. However, I still passed the class and that is what counts. I’m home now, my cheeks dry because I didn’t cry the car ride home (as anticipated). I feel content with the way my first semester ended. Hopefully, I will feel the same when my second semester ends, too.

Though I am a slacker, I would say my first finals week was successful. I was not consumed with studying or attempting to complete essays requiring a thousand words each. That was just with fourteen semester hours, so next semester will definitely be interesting. I just pray that my slacking and procrastinating abilities will wear off...