How To Think About College Final Exams In A Positive Way
Education

Think Of Finals As One Step Closer To Break, Rather Than The Roughest Point Of The Semester

Even though these next few weeks will be tough and the hole you are in may be bottomless, there is still a silver lining for you in the end as long as you have the dedication and motivation to reach whatever academic goal you desire.

58
Stressed out college student

Many of us likely heard of the general phrase, "It's not about how you start that matters, it's how you finish" before in our lives. The most pertinent portrayal of this saying is visible through sports of all kinds. There are countless examples and scenarios where an individual or team starts poorly but ends up coming back from behind and ultimately winning the race/game. It is these people that show that despite the initial struggles, perseverance can lead towards victory at the end of the day. More importantly, it is these "feel good" stories that teach and inspire us moral lessons to become a better version of ourselves.

Now, all of that sounds awesome. What if I told you that you (yes, I'm looking at you) have a chance to be that source of inspiration?

For the majority of us college students, fall semester probably did not go the way we imagined it would from an academic standpoint. Now, with roughly three to four weeks of fall semester remaining, the upcoming final exams, essays, and projects will determine whether we will make or break this semester. Reflecting on the entire semester as a whole, you may be quick to blame many factors. Perhaps you just so happened to receive the professor that had a 1.9 rating on RateMyProfessors, or maybe you are taking that required class that has a reputation for being extremely difficult. For others, there may have been several external issues with family or friends that distracted you from your grades. Regardless of what the reason may be and how reasonable and legitimate the problem is, the reality is that the situation is what it is and that you cannot change the past.

The athletes that ended their games and season on a high note did not let their troubles get in the way in their path to victory. There is little reason why you cannot achieve the same goal. You can think that teacher or class is ruining your GPA, but it is just an excuse for whatever is holding you back from achieving that A grade.

So, even though these next few weeks will be tough and the hole you are in may be bottomless, there is still a silver lining for you in the end as long as you have the dedication and motivation to reach whatever academic goal you desire. By doing so, you just might make yourself that "feel good story" that others look at and find hope for with their academics.