Yes, Fighting With Your Significant Other Sucks But It Is Necessary

Here's how to fight fair.

633
123rf

Fighting with your significant other is not fun and it is even dreaded by some people. Fighting is not a walk in the park, but sometimes it is necessary to fight with your significant other. There are definitely wrong and right ways to go about it though. To make your relationship happy, you need to know how to fight in the most healthy way possible.

Listening is the key to success. Listen before you speak. You need to hear the other person out, and make sure you understand where they are coming from. If you don't listen, you can't even attempt to understand. Listen to what they have to say and put yourself in their shoes. Try to understand what they are feeling and more importantly WHY they are feeling that way.

You also need to take responsibility for your actions. This is major. You cannot always place the blame on other people. More than likely, both of you did something wrong, so face that. Even if the other person isn't always willing to, after you begin to take responsibility, they probably will too. Someone has to be the first one to realize they did something wrong. Be the bigger person.

As John Mayer once said, "Say what you need to say." This is so true, but you also need to think before you say what you need to say. Make sure you say it in a way that does not come off as negative. Don't say anything that is degrading to your partner. Do not say anything that you will regret because once it is said, you cannot take it back. Words can backlash big time.

Never, ever bring up past fights, especially if they are irrelevant. Bringing up past fights will only make the current one worse. Once you move past something, leave it. Do not dig up old dirt.

This should go without saying, but never put your hands on your significant other during a fight unless it is to hug them. Fights between you and your significant other should never become physical, that is never the correct way to solve your problems.

Make up. Never leave or go to sleep without making up first. This is so so important to healthy relationships. It is good for the individual and for the actual relationship to resolve an issue before parting ways. You never know what could happen. So give them a hug and kiss, make sure they know that you love them and that you have moved past the fight, but only when you really have moved past it.

Healthy fighting is the key to healthy relationships, so make sure you are doing it right!

If you or anybody you know suffers from Domestic Abuse, call 1-800-799-7233.