You Need To Fight For Breonna Taylor Like You Did For George Floyd

She still needs justice.

46

The media shows us so many Black men being killed by police that even the idea that Black women are being brutalized by police is an after thought, and therefore, not heavily acknowledged.

Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old Black woman was murdered in her home on March 13, 2020, in Louisville, Kentucky. Breonna Taylor and her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, were sleeping but woke up to loud banging at the door. Walker fired his gun, and officers fired back. Breonna was shot eight times.

Officers Jonathan Mattingly, Brett Hankison and Myles Cosgrove issued a no-knock warrant. The LMPD says the officers identified themselves, though the lawsuit and neighbors contradicted their claim.

A no-knock warrant in the middle of the night when Breonna and her boyfriend were sleeping. All of this happened because there was a drug-warrant out for another person who had already been detained before police entered Taylor's home.

There was uproar about her murder, however, it didn't get the media coverage it deserved when she was killed. I personally didn't start hearing more about Taylor's death until around the time of George Floyd's murder, and I'm having trouble understanding that.

However, police brutality against Black women needs to be acknowledged. Jonathan Mattingly, Brett Hankison and Myles Cosgrove deserve to be charged with Breonna Taylor's murder: we need to fight for her.

Mattingly and Cosgrove are on administrative reassignment, and Hankison was fired. That's it, no charges. Breonna's life was taken from her, and there's little repercussions.

Good Morning America recalls an interview titled “Their Painful Bond: Black Mother's Speak Out Together on Their Unimaginable Loss" in which they spoke with seven mothers who have lost their children, including Tamika Palmer, Breonna Taylor's mother. She shared stories about Taylor and talked about her loss.

"Breonna was an old soul. My parents would always say, "She's been in this world before." When she was 3 years old, she wanted to sing "Last Two Dollars," a blues song, during karaoke. What 3-year-old do you know who wants to sing a blues song?"
"Growing up, Breonna was an all-around primadonna. She played basketball and cheered. She liked to dance and hang out with family and friends. She loved planning game nights."
"Hours before her death, Breonna came over to my house after getting off of work. We laid around, just kind of talking. She talked about having the best day that day, [and how she was] going out to dinner with her boyfriend and [then] going home to watch movies. I'm glad that I was able to share those last moments with her."

Palmer recalled the last time she saw her daughter. Imagine that... and then not having justice?

Luckily, Breonna's Law passed in Kentucky, which bans no-knock warrants.

Something came of Breonna's death. Awareness was created when she was murdered, but we can't let it die.

Just like how the Black Lives Matter movement didn't start with George Floyd, and it doesn't end with George Floyd. The movement is not a trend that can easily be brushed away. Your news feeds and timelines on social media may have calmed down, but the movement won't.

The #SayHerName movement is exactly what Black women needed. We, too, need to be seen, heard and recognized in a world that continuously tries to drag us down. Crenshaw really started something that's here to stay.

There doesn't need to be a video of someone being killed to prove it happened.

There is no brutality contest, murder is murder and someone needs to take accountability no matter what sort of authority they have.

Breonna Taylor deserves to be heard, and she deserves justice. Her murderers are walking free, she needs our help.

Say Her Name.

Check out this article to find ways to get justice for Breonna Taylor.