Characters I Relate To

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To Completely

Stranger than fiction? Yes I am.

130
https://unsplash.com/photos/o4c2zoVhjSw

Books, movies, and TV shows allow us to escape our real-world problems. They are a source of entertainment and a way to tune out our worries and troubles. Fictional worlds, however, have their way of inspiring us and helping us find solutions to issues off the page and silver screen. When I look for reassurance and motivation, there are ten fictional characters with real dilemmas I relate to.

1. Clarisse McClellan.

Fahrenheit 451 - YouTube

From Ray Bradbury's novel of censorship and educational dissonance, "Fahrenheit 451," is Clarisse McClellan, the standout outsider. She is the needle in the haystack, sharp enough to make a lasting impression with seemingly little effort. Rather than look, Clarisse sees. She is ahead of her years and does not stay connected with wall-to-wall televisions but with people. Her awareness and curiosity excite me unlike the others her age who follow the stigmatized status quo. She is her own person and so am I.

2. Double D.

From the nineties when cartoons had more to say about growing up, there was no better show to watch than Cartoon Network's "Ed, Edd, n' Eddy." Double D is the brains of the cul de sac kids where he seems to get caught in the middle. This does not stop him from being the best middleman though. Filled with advice and guidance, he facilitates situations well even whether he is saving friendships or inadvertently making enemies. His conscience is clean and his closet is alphabetized; not a single piece of dirty laundry can be found. You would think his peers would learn by his example, but to Double D's dismay, he is surrounded by idiots.

3. Numbuh 2 (Hoagie P. Gilligan, Jr.).

Jack Catoe

Another Cartoon Network favorite show was "Codename: Kids Next Door," where kids foiled the nefarious plots of adults and parents worldwide with their tree house safe houses and 2x4 Technology. Each kid operative was assigned a number and my favorite number was two. Numbuh 2 quickly became my favorite character but for a number of reasons. He is smart, tech-savvy, he makes jokes that he thinks are funny, his favorite foods include chili dogs and spinach and judging by the episodes he's been front and center in, he loves classic cinema.

4. Nick Carraway.

TCM

From the pivotal novel that captured the Roaring Twenties, "The Great Gatsby," F. Scott Fitzgerald gives us Nick Carraway, the carefully indifferent observer. Socially he is seen as a third wheel but for good reason. He is not into drama or getting overly involved with the lives of others. He bears witness to careless people when he himself cares with discretion. I care too, but when others will not make that change, I will not force my hand to make it so. Confide in me, seek advice from me, but at the end of the day, your life is your own to live how you choose.

5. Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Some think I have bats in the belfry but who does not from time to time? I like a bustling cave of bats rather than an empty one. Like Batman, I keep my friends close and my enemies closer. Unlike Bruce Wayne, I don't have to be rich to be vigilant but it's certainly worth its weight in gold. I like my silent solace but a helping hand is always welcomed. I thrive at my best when I work alone, though I do work well with others when our goals are aligned. I cherish my alone time to assess who I am. Becoming who I was meant to be is still a journey I am on and I do not doubt the reasons why I am here at this point in time. It only means I have more in store for me.

6. Samurai Jack.

Jack is a man of few words who definitely left an impression on me. I measure my words before they are spoken and do my best to keep a civil tongue. Jack may be lost in the future, but he manages to always find himself back in the past with his timeless values. Jack's family symbol is the Zintaris, a diamond with four lines through each side within a circle. They represent five attributes: goodness, modesty, wisdom, skills and inner peace. Growing up, I took to Jack's humble demeanor and when appropriate his not-so-quick-to-anger side. Despite the odds, I will always fight to even them.

7. Matilda Wormwood.

upload.wikimedia.org

I would have chosen James from "James and the Giant Peach," but Matilda was more relatable. I grew up reading and unlike Matilda, I have parents to thank for giving me books to read. I relate to her in some respects for being self-reliant when she has to and staying true to herself despite the people who try to keep her from that goal. Book smarts as it turns out is street smarts.

8. Hermes.

I feel like a mediator at times but it is always voluntary. I want what is best for everyone and I find it difficult to let people figure it out eventually when I could just intervene selflessly and show them right now. I will tell you what, it is like coming and going from Hell and back! I am not afraid to do what is right either, which is why Hermes tricks the gods to help humans. But I have never tricked anyone for the greater good, but if I had to I would.

9. Michael Scofield.

MiissWelling

I would like to think that I am dumb enough to be smart enough, but I know it is more of me being smart enough to be dumb enough. Michael tattooed his body, overlaid the schematics of a prison and memorized a route to escape it! The reason I relate to him is not for the prowess of an escape artist but for the simple fact that (according to Nika) he wants to help people. In our circles of influence, we can too.

10. Jude Fawley.

j.gifs.com

Thomas Hardy's "Jude the Obscure" questions Victorian era conventions and goes with the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law. I relate to Jude in that I would like all these connections (a relationship, a career and recognition) without condemnation for who I am and what I do. I feel obscure for these potentialities, feeling like they're only obtainable and acceptable as they're meant to be obtained and accepted. He's the original MGTOW and better for it!

Fictional characters show us reality in more ways than one.