Fiction on Odyssey: My True Colors

Fiction On Odyssey: My True Colors

She had never once considered going outside her house with her natural looks.

12

Layla Arnolds hummed softly to herself as she stared into the mirror of her bathroom. She had just stepped out of the shower and was getting ready to put on her face for that day. She had never once considered going outside her house with her natural looks. She thought of herself as hideous and figured that most people would agree with that. She was lucky enough to be able to change her appearance so she could look any way she wanted.

Layla spent a good few minutes planning her outfit for the day so she could change her body so that it looks best with the clothes. Once she had the image in her head, she closed her eyes and pictured the beautiful person that she had imagined. A frown crossed her face as she didn't feel her body change immediately. She opened her eyes and looked down and was shocked to find no change. She tried again, frantically trying to call on her powers and make them work, but she had no luck. She took a deep breath and determined that for today she would have to leave the house with her default body.

Her deep brown eyes grazed over her closet as she found a new outfit that might work with her default appearance. Of course, it was a little difficult to find anything that looked nice against her hideous blue skin. Orange markings spread across her body and they clashed horribly with her bright pink top. Finally, she pulled on a pair of loose-fitting jeans and pulled her midnight blue hair into a messy braid before slipping on white sandals and rushing out to work.

As Layla rushed down the street, she paid no attention to the people around her. There was no way she wanted to see their disgust and absolute horror. What she didn't expect was for none of that to happen. There was no disgust, no horror, no insults. People treated her like she was a normal person, despite how supposedly hideous she was. It was something that she had never imagined would ever be the case for her. There was nothing mean said to her the entire day.

Her day went on like normal. She even received compliments on the appearance she had supposedly chosen for the day. People appreciated how unique and different she looked. Her heart fluttered and she had a smile on her face when she was leaving work to go back home. The walk back was much like her walk to work, a few compliments were tossed her was, but no one showed her any kind of disgust or horror and no one went out of their way to insult her. It was honestly, a dream come true for her. Especially after her parents had insisted to her that she had to hide her appearance.

As she laid down to go to bed that night, Layla decided that maybe... Just maybe... She would have to use her default appearance more often.