A Feminist's Letter To Donald Trump

A Feminist's Letter To Donald Trump

You will certainly not "Make America Great Again."

51
A Feminist's Letter To Donald Trump
pbs.org

Dear Donald Trump,

I'd like to say that someone as hateful and bigoted as you doesn't deserve my time or attention, but seeing as you're running for a position to oversee our entire nation, what you do and say affects me, whether I like it or not. Simply put, you, Sir, are a disgrace to our country -- especially when it comes to gender equality. While I can gladly say that I live in a country that has made huge strides for women's rights (although, we still have a long way to go), you are far, far behind in your understanding of gender equality and basic respect towards women. In addition to your appalling racist views (that call for a whole other article), your sexist remarks disgust me, and I am shocked that people actually take you seriously.

Now, I don't want to bash anyone who supports you, because I'm all about being open minded and accepting other views and opinions. However, I don't agree with those who say that they like you because you are blunt and honest and "saying what everyone else is thinking." It's ignorant to assume that every American is as narrow minded, racist, and sexist as you. So no, don't let people give you that much credit, Mr. Trump, because I know that when you make offensive comments, you're only saying things that other bigoted people are thinking.

You have a long history of making disrespectful comments towards women, and frankly, there are far too many to fit in this article. But here are just a few.

Remember when you said this lovely statement in an interview with Esquire in 1991?: "You know, it doesn't really matter what [the media] write as long as you've got a young and beautiful piece of ass."I'm glad you think women exist solely for the pleasure of the male gaze.

Or how about when you stated that a female journalist only got her job based on her looks. "I mean, we could say politically correct that look doesn't matter, but the look obviously matters," Trump said to a female reporter in a clip featured on "Last Week Tonight" (skip to 4:37). "Like you wouldn't have your job if you weren't beautiful." Yet another example of objectification. Classy.

Or take, for example, the time you tweeted that sexual assault in the military is to be expected.

Here's an idea: For men to not rape women. Maybe that?

I believe that any person in a position of power, political or not, should set a good example for those under their authority. So what will be the message to Americans (especially young, impressionable ones) if you get elected as president of the United States? The message will be this: that women are not to be treated as human beings with the same respect and equal rights as men, but rather as objects who can be talked about in a crude, demeaning way. Like most people, I have no interest in reversing our country's achievements for gender equality or perpetuating a sexist rhetoric in our society. That is not a country I want to live in, and it will certainty not "Make America Great Again."

What gives me hope, however, is that women make up a majority of the American electorate. According to a Quinnipiac poll poll released in December, 68 percent of women voters held an unfavorable view of you. So, don't be surprised if all of those disgusting comments you made ruin your chances of winning the presidency.

Sincerely,

A woman, a feminist, an American