Feminism Has Nothing To Do With Religion; So Stop Making The Correlation

Think about the women around the world who don't have it like we do.

409

I will start by I respect all sorts of different opinions, so long as they are supported by fact. I think the ability to cultivate what makes sense to each of us is a really strong part of what it means to be human. If we were all meant to share the same level of intelligence or the same thought process, we wouldn't progress in the way that we should.

That being said, I read an article recently that discussed religion and how it ties into gender equality (or lack thereof) and what it means to be a feminist.

If we're going by the logic that arguments should be supported by fact, using the Bible (or any religious text, for that matter) as a reference or 'factual' resource to support an argumentative claim doesn't quite make sense, since it isn't relevant to everyone and doesn't have any credible authors.

Not everyone lives their lives based off of the morals presented in any given religious text, therefore it isn't necessarily right to base an argument solely based off of your faith.

I've been a self-proclaimed feminist for as long as I remember. Growing up, I was taught that I could do anything I set my mind to. I was taught that I can accomplish any goal I set out to accomplish, and my gender had nothing to do with my capabilities.

Intersectional feminism is the advocacy for equal rights for men and women, regardless of class, race or other traditionally discriminatory factors. It is inclusive and it is not matriarchal.

Today, we live in a progressive world where things are constantly changing and improving. From technology to medical advances to the way we are able to communicate, we are becoming a better world with each and every passing day.

I have a problem with the idea that I am meant to submit to a man. Sure, women and men are different biologically. But are we really that different?

I mean, if you really think about it, is there any job in the workforce that a woman is incapable of doing? Is there any language or idea or concept that a woman is incapable of understanding? Is there any single sport that is physically impossible for a woman to complete?

What is so wrong with wanting to be perceived as equal to a man?

The issue I have is not with the label; You don't have to call yourself a feminist. Personally, I believe intersectional feminism is something to be proud of, something (in an ideal world) more people would be proud to claim, but I realize that with the negative connotation feminism has adopted in recent years, some people may be afraid of adopting the label, and some may just not want to.

However, there are over 130 million girls in the world who don't have access to an education just because they're girls. That is a problem.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am respectful of opinions that differ from mine, but I have a problem with close-mindedness. I have an issue with disregarding the fact that women outside of the United States and other first-world countries suffer inequality in a way 21st-century women like myself cannot understand.

As a white woman living in the United States, I most likely have it better than a majority of women in the world. My privilege does not go unnoticed. I'm a feminist for the women who aren't given a voice, an opportunity or an education.

You don't have to be a feminist. You don't have to take advantage of gender equality if you don't want to. I just ask that you don't let your personal beliefs and the way that you want to live your life get in the way of the fight for gender equality for women across the world.

If it weren't for the women who came before us, we wouldn't have many of the rights we have today. We wouldn't be given an equal opportunity for education. We wouldn't even be able to express our opinions as we do.

All women deserve to live a life where they aren't afraid. They deserve equal access to education and equal opportunity to pursue any path of life they want.