I Fear Donald Trump's America

I Fear Donald Trump's America

This election has seemed to divide us rather than come together.

9
I Fear Donald Trump's America

Let’s face the facts. Whether you are a Trump supporter or not, everyone was surprised to see this man win the Presidential Election. As I watched the states turn red on the night of November 8th, I began to fear for the country of the “land of the free, home of the brave”. Once Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan turned red I knew the fight was over. I went to bed before anything official was called hoping it all was a bad dream. I woke up the next day realizing that Hilary won the popular vote (64.2 million), but Trump won the electoral votes (290). It boggled my mind (and still does) that a man with no political or governmental experience can have the power to run our country. A man that has a warped view on many things, one of them being women claiming he can "Grab them by the p**sy".

Since the election, I have been following the updates on who Trump chooses to be on his cabinet. Although Trump may not be fit to be President, I was hoping he would surround himself with people who knew what they were doing.

When Steve Bannon, an executive of the right wing conservative Breitbart News Network, was chosen as Chief Strategist, I knew this was going to spiral downhill fast. He is a racist who has little to no political experience and was primarily hired because Trump owed him a favor. Then, he appointed Nikki Haley as the U.N. Ambassador which doesn’t seem like a terrible decision since she is the Governor of South Carolina and has political experience. The only thing that surprises me is how much she bashed Trump during the campaign stating, “Donald Trump is everything I taught my children not to do in kindergarten” … but now she is serving in his cabinet? Now, Betsy De Vos was chosen as the Education Secretary which is concerning for a few reasons. Erik Prince, Betsy De Vos’s brother and Blackwater founder, wrote a check for $100,000 towards Trump’s campaign. In my opinion, this is abusing the spoils system of hiring one of your supporter’s sisters. Also, Betsy De Vos has no experience in the school environment, no education degree, and has shown interest primarily in charter/private schools over public schools. Lastly, Ben Carson’s name was seriously being considered for the HUD Secretary (Housing and Urban Development) until his advisor released an alarming statement. Armstrong Williams stated, “Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience, he’s never run a federal agency." How can it be that Dr. Ben Carson was running to be the President of the United States, and now when he is being considered for a smaller position he admits he has no government experience.

I end this article with that statement from Armstrong Williams because in essence none of these cabinet members have long term experience in these fields they were appointed to. This election has seemed to divide us rather than come together. The Simpson's predicted right, Donald Trump is the President.