My Favorite Spotify Podcasts That Will Teach You Something

The Monocle

208
Samuel Zeller

https://twitter.com/Monocle24

https://monocle.com/

As someone with a fascination for journalism in its many forms from print to digital to audio, I was excited to discover the Monocle and their treasury of fascinatingly detailed podcasts on a variety of subjects from entrepreneurship to fashion to foreign affairs and news to food. Each episode is around half an hour to forty-five minutes with the professional feel of a BBC broadcast while making it accessible for all audiences. I hope you enjoy my top five favorite podcasts from the Monocle 24 and/or their sister podcast outlet Midori House!

1. The Monocle Arts Review

https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-monocle-arts-r...

In each half hour episode, two to three umbrella topics in the latest innovations and creations in media, photography, film, music, literature, and fine art are discussed per episode by introducing a different creator taking an idea in a completely new direction. There are fascinating behind-the-scenes details about inspiration, creative process, and goals from creators all over the world that celebrate the many types of artists and their fields like no other show I have encountered because this show does not place any constraints on what art is. All kinds of creators from all kinds of places with all kinds of ideas are welcome.

Recommended episode: Sunday Brunch: Art from the heart and mind

2. The Voyager

https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-voyager/

In each 15-20 minute episode, a city is discussed in holistic detail from food to industry and economy to culture that makes you feel as if you have just visited it. There are well-known cities interspersed among emerging cities that may be lesser known that creates a vast diversity in cultural experience. Not only are the traditions and past of the city appreciated as they are presented, the future of the city is excitedly discussed. Although the show has not been active since 2015, I still highly recommend it for its insight into some of the captivating corners of the world. If you are about to travel somewhere new or if there is simply a place that interests you, look to this podcast for more information for a more exciting travel guide!

Recommended episode: Kuala Lumpur

3. The Foreign Desk

https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-foreign-desk/

This podcast is a solid source of international news that emphasizes how holistic our current events are by presenting all sides of a situation and their many layers at an accessible level. Each 30 minute episode is sandwiched between a 5 minute show for an overview on a singular topic. Since each episode is released weekly, they are fresh and apparent in the minds and lives of people moving among them, and they are expertly crafted for the listener to leave their show more educated and self-aware. If knowing more about the way the world around you works brings you peace of mind, this podcast is for you!

Recommended Episode: Who wins in a trade war?

4. Meet the Writers

https://monocle.com/radio/shows/meet-the-writers/

This podcast is all about writers from all over the world, their inspiration, their field of writing, and their role in their individual communities. Genres from academic writing to journalism to print are discussed and explored in each 30 minute episode along with a new idea, field of writing, and corner of the world using in depth interviews that make the listener feel like they are listening to the author and the interviewer talk as they walk down the street in the author's hometown. If you enjoy reading and learning what happens behind-the-scenes of the creation of a book or published work, this podcast is for you!

Recommended Episode: Ashok Ferrey

5. The Urbanist

https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-urbanist/

I saved the best for last with this podcast, The Urbanist is not only my favorite Monocle 24 podcast, it is my favorite of the podcasts I have listened to regularly in the past year. In the Urbanist, 2-3 seemingly unrelated cities that fall under one umbrella topic are discussed in each 30 minute episode with in-the-field interviews complete with the sounds of each city as it naturally thrives in its every day life. The recommended episode is not only fascinating, but it is also a perfect example of how ingenious this podcast is. In it, these three cities figure out how to create the perfect city block to see the effects on its residents. Between each 30 minute episode, is a 5 minute episode that discusses one topic. If you enjoy learning more about the world around you, this podcast is for you!

Recommended episode: The perfect city block

I hope you listen to these wonderful podcasts and enjoy them as much as I have!