15 People Reveal Who Their Favorite Person From History Is
Education

The world we know today was formed by those who came before us, so it's important to know who has made a lasting impact on our generation.

6001
LikeTheDew.com

1. Susan B. Anthony

History.com

"She fought for women's rights in a time when that was unheard of." -Female, 19

2. Nikola Tesla

Big Think

"Tesla was truly a misunderstood genius. Yes, he did a lot of weird things (like fall in love with a pigeon), but he was a pioneer in his field and forced into hiding because the world wasn't ready for his ideas. We need more people like him." -Male, 22

3. Barack Obama

NBC Bay Area

"Obviously I agree with his politics, but overall he's been one of the most respectable leaders in our nation's history." -Female, 21

4. Audrey Hepburn

Biography.com

"Audrey Hepburn was one of the biggest film and fashion figures in the 1950s and 1960s. Her style and personality exuded class, grace, and elegance. She was a talented actress and her iconic outfits still charm people today. Not only was she beautiful, she also helped in humanitarian efforts, such as helping children in need. She is someone that I strive to emulate in the way I dress and how I present myself to others. Her care for others, especially children, is inspiring and is one of the many reasons she is my favorite historical figure." -Female, 20

5. John F. Kennedy

AARP

"Fascinating." - Male, 21

6. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Makers.com

"Ginsburg has made such a positive impact as she has formed an inclusive society in addition to paving the way for women to enter the workforce." - Female, 22

7. Zelda Fitzgerald

Famous People

"I love Zelda because she's SOOOOO underrated. She was one of the most brilliant writers of her generation and hardly anyone knows. She and F. Scott Fitzgerald worked so closely that's it's impossible to discern what was Zelda and what was Scott. She also had an incredible career as a professional ballerina in France. I just think she's so fascinating. I used to work at her old house that's now a museum and I just learned so many interesting things about her I feel like I know her personally." - Female, 22

8. Niccoló Machiavelli

World Policy

"I think his studies are extremely important in analyzing human nature, especially as it relates to politics." - Female, 21

9. Alexander Hamilton

Pittsburgh Magazine

"His life was so incredibly fascinating, and he really did make the best out of a shitty situation. He did so much for our country and it's incredible how little credit he gets considering he created our national banks, the coast guard and is the reason his wife founded the first private orphanage in New York City." - Female, 19

10. Baynard Rustin

Huffington Post

"He is unapologetically outspoken about the things he is passionate about, even if he wasn't given all the credit he was due. He is also probably one of the few historically significant bisexuals in our history!" - Male

11. Winston Churchill

Sputnik International

"Because he was a very wise and verbal man, when things got tough during World War II, he seemed to know just what to say. Though he had his failures when he was younger, he never gave up, not even during what seemed to be the impossible. He was a very down to earth man as well; he loved to hear what the people had to say." - Male, 18

12. Princess Diana

Your Tango

"She was ahead of her time and her life was tragically cut too short. Princess Diana helped shape the British Monarchy as we know it today. She made it more approachable for people which have influenced both Prince William and Prince Harry with how they will continue the monarchy when it is passed down to them. She also had a big heart advocating for children, AIDS victims, the poor and the ill. She started a lot of charities and donated her own money and clothing to help fund them. She also showed extreme strength taking on a role as public as Princess of Wales. Even when the world seemed against her, she kept her head held high. She should never be forgotten and I doubt she ever will." - Female, 21

13. Jackie Kennedy Onassis

Harper's Bazaar

"I think Jackie will always be the most iconic First Lady America will ever have. She was everything a First Lady should be ranging from her knowledge to her style. We always associate Jackie as a shy and soft woman but she was the complete opposite. She watched her husband die in her arms and still proceeded to wash off some of the blood and witness Lyndon B. Johnson replace her husband in office all in the same day. She also protected her children from the media and even continued to fascinate America long after the death of her husband." - Female, 20

14. Ronald Reagan

Daily Beast

"I will forever love this man and his love for America. As much as people hate to admit it, President Reagan did a lot for not only America but for the world. He helped end the Cold War, revitalized the GOP and the conservative movement, brought America Reaganomics and cut taxes like no one's business. He also proved that you do not have to be a politician to be elected President of the United States. Hearing his iconic Berlin Wall speech "Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate!
Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" still gives me chills." -Female, 21

15. Jesus Christ

E-Prophetic

"Is there anyone more memorable than Jesus? Probably the most positive influence on this world with his teachings of love, forgiveness, acceptance, compassion and eternal life. He is the most selfless person I can think of, giving his life so that others can live forever in eternity. His teachings are so profound that they have survived centuries, created a religion, and have two very important Christian holidays." -Male, 19

History. The world we know today was formed by those who came before us, so it's important to know who has made a lasting impact on our generation. I wanted to know who my generation thinks is important from history and why to better understand my generation. As a political science major, I have many favorite people from history (which is to be expected) but I wanted to know who other people either history majors or not believe have had a significant impact on society today. Due to an overwhelming amount of responses, I picked 15 that had an inspiration reasons why they are important. Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer. I love knowing that people from history are still remembered today and have shaped the minds of my generation even if they came generations before us.