Fast fashion

Is Fast Fashion Better Than Slow Fashion Just Because It's Cheaper?

Are you really going to wear every single piece of clothing in your closet? Buy more sustainable clothing could be the better way to go.

85

Fast fashion is a contemporary term used by fashion retailers to express that designs move from catwalk quickly to capture current fashion trends. Fast fashion clothing collections are based on the most recent fashion trends presented at Fashion Week in both the spring and the autumn of every year. The fashion industry plays a major role in the world's economy with annual revenue totaling over $1 trillion dollars.

However, it is one of the most resource intensive industries in the world. People love fast fashion because its trendy and you can buy it almost anywhere. But fast fashion also hurts our planet, a recent study conducted by Greenpeace, around 400 billion square meters of textiles are produced every year

Of which 60 billion meters, are left as waste on the cutting room floor. 80 billion pieces of clothing are produced worldwide, and 3 or 4 pieces will end up in the landfill, and unfortunately, only one quarter will be recycled.

Fast fashion, is the process of imitating trends and styles from the big name designers on and off the runway. these are usually utilized by fashion conscious people at a low price, it may be easy to access fast fashion, but this also has a negative effect on the environment on these fast fashion garments.

This type of fashion is possible because most are made unethically and for cheap labor, in places such as Cambodia, Bangladesh, and Indonesia, the fashion industry can make their clothes for a quarter of the price they sell it for.

There are new trends every year and every season, and you have so many people just running out and buying, but most of the time once that season or trend is over, people tend to just trash that article of clothing. Buying clothes that you know you will wear year round and continue to wear till they fall apart, is one of the best ways to get your money worth in what you buy.

People tend to buy an excessive amount of clothes, and sometimes people tend to buy cheap clothes that fall apart in short period of time, instead of buying fewer clothes that are more well made that will last a longer period of time. a good amount of the clothes that are bought go unworn and stay in the closet for years.

freestocks.org

You don't need to buy expensive clothing to look fashionable, But you can but well made affordable clothes that will last you longer, then cheap or expensive clothes that you may wear a handful of times before you get rid of it. Having a smaller capsel wardrobe filled with clothes that you know you are going to wear, is worth more than a walk-in closet full of clothes you will hardly wear.

Alexandru Acea

Slow fashion is ethically made clothes from natural and recycled resources, these clothes may cost you a bit more, but are made to last longer, and do not harm the environment. Slow fashion aims to decrease the speed of production, and consumption, and its about connecting with the clothes instead of just adding lost of additions to your wardrobe which may only get worn on occasion.

The material is carefully considered and how it is made, in order to be ethical and without compromising the quality.