Fashion Trends: What To Leave In 2013, What Take To 2014

4

Everyone rings in the New Year a little differently, but today we are taking a trip down memory lane and looking at all the fashion trends that we are bringing into the New Year or are happy to let go. Let’s start with the ones we are ready to leave in 2013.

Here on campus, I know I wasn’t the only one to notice the new tennis skirt trend. I know some people enjoyed those, but let’s leave them to the tennis players who only wear them when they are playing tennis. While they come in various designs and colors, which is always tempting, let’s leave these to the professionals.

Another trend, that seemed to hit mainly the South, is chevron. Don’t get me wrong, it was great at first, but it has been a tad overdone. Maybe we don’t have to say a total goodbye. Chevron notebooks and other accessories could be a great alternative to wearing the print head-to-toe.

Lastly, one that should go back to its original decade is the crop top. Cameron Green, a junior AOII and Odyssey writer said, “Crop tops were cute for a week, but they belong back in the 80s with Madonna and neon leggings.” I have to agree. They need to go back where they came from. No one wants to see girls mid-drift unless they are at the beach, plain and simple.

Not all trends excited such a negative response this year, but we are not completely convinced if we should bring them into 2014. Let’s call these “The 50 Shades of Grey Trends.”

Velvet, which came in at the end of the year, has made a comeback and is receiving mixed reviews. With the right piece and worn the correct way, velvet can look luxurious. I would suggest jewel tone colors, if you decide to go for it. This isn’t a trend we will see all year round, as it is mainly for the winter months.

The next trend is the combat boot, which goes along with the military look we have seen emerging in the fashion world for a couple of years, now. Some people can easily pull off the combat boot, which may get you interested in the look. But not everyone is a perfect fit for the combat boot. So know your own personal style and stay true to that!

Now to the trends we are ready to take with us into 2014.

A big trend we saw in the warmer months was floral prints and I will be happy to bring those back next fall! The best part about florals is that you can make them fit your personal style. Whether you’re boho chic, preppy or glam, you can work florals into your outfits!

Leather made a huge comeback this year and it is taking the fashion world by storm. You always see at least one fashion icon out and about in something leather and they are all over the fashion blogs. One can wear leather in so many different ways, these days. More common ways are in shoes and, of course, leather jackets, but don’t stop there. Leather skirts, dresses, pants and leggings have all hit stores in many colors, so make sure to pick up the one that fits your style the best.

Lastly, flannel is one trend that only comes out in the colder months. Many girls like to take this one from the guys’ section to make sure the shirt is comfy and the perfect size. The ease of flannel allows for comfort and style. The assortment of colors and prints allows everyone to choose how to incorporate flannel into their own wardrobes.

Just remember, no matter what is happening in the fashion world, stay true to your personal style!