6 Ways To Grow Your Fashion Blog

6 Ways To Grow Your Fashion Blog

Advice for fashion bloggers from one of the industry's top influencers.

242
6 Ways To Grow Your Fashion Blog
Alex Marie Photography

I am a fledgling fashion blogger and have been doing it for about two years. I've become really passionate about creating a blog and growing a following. I thought that I would reach out to some of my favorite influencers for some advice on how to grow your blog and be a better blogger. Style Lullaby is a popular fashion blogger with over 400,000 followers combined. I absolutely adore her account for her quality content and I wanted to reach out to her for some advice.

1. How did you get into creating a fashion blog?

After graduating from college in 2013, I moved to LA to pursue modeling since I was offered an agency contract. I modeled full-time for 2 years and then decided to start a blog for fun to document my favorite fashion finds, editorial shoots, etc. To my surprise, what was my hobby quickly grew to be so much more. It's so fun to work for different brands that I feel passionately about and share with my audience how I style pieces from a clothing line or how I like a certain product!

2. How do you monetize your blog?

I use affiliate links (i.e. ShopStyle, RewardStyle, etc.) to monetize directly on my blog. I also have brands that have me advertise their styles/products on both my blog & Instagram.

3. What did you study and do you feel that it applies to what you currently do?

I got my Bachelor of Arts in Communications from UC San Diego (go Tritons!). Back when I was admitted into university, I actually didn't know what I wanted to do. So, I picked a major that I felt would be easily applicable regardless of what field I ended up in. My major was heavy on research and writing. Since my blog requires strong writing skills, I do feel that my studies came in handy!

4. How do you consistently set up photoshoots?

My boyfriend is a photographer, and we actually met back in my modeling days. He takes all my photos for my blog & Instagram. We try to set aside a couple days in the week to shoot since the truth is... I don't like to get photo ready everyday (lol!). On days I'm not shooting, I'm busy creating written content for the blog/my social channels.

5. Do you still have another occupation besides your blog?

I am a full-time content creator. As a freelancer though, it's always good to have multiple streams of revenue. I am always actively looking for different ways to grow my income and continue to do what I love!

6. How did you build your blog and your following?

This takes a lot of time, patience, and hard work. I would say that putting out quality content consistently and engaging with your audience is key to building a blog/social media following. Staying true to yourself and your beliefs/values/interests is also equally important, as clichéd as that sounds!Hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions :) xoxoxo

I've learned so much from her advice and hope you do as well. To anyone with a blog, thinking about starting a blog, it takes a few years of consistent work but if you make it then it will happen. If you do it just for likes or for money then that is an external source of gratification that will make it easier for you to become discouraged. Doing it for the right reasons such as to create art and to inspire people will take you a long way, because that passion will drive you to create consistent work.