The Final Open Letter To My Odyssey Readers: Thank You & Farewell

"We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect." ― Anais Nin

244
Brandon Arlington

To my Odyssey readers,

I want to start this article off by saying THANK YOU!!! Whether you've read one of my articles or all one hundred and fifty of them, thank you. Thank you for finding my words worth reading. Without you, the reader, my words really don't have all that much meaning to them. I am empowered by each and every one of you. I've always loved writing but it used to feel far off and distant. Now I can write and type and create with purpose and confidence. Whether you are my best friend or a total stranger, thank you for reading my words and giving me the space I needed to fall in love with saying what I feel is important to say.

I can't believe my time at Texas A&M University has come to an end! These past four years as a student have been so wonderful, challenging, inspiring, difficult, life-changing, and life-giving. I am a whole new person compared to the little freshman that moved to College Station four years ago trying to figure out her life. I am still not even close to having it all figured out (I mean who does, right?!) but I am more in love with my Jesus and myself than ever before, and that's got to count for something.

During my time at A&M I found a major that I loved (not without trying out a whole bunch before I got there), I got to play in A&M's Symphonic Band as their principal bassoon for three years, I got to serve as an IMPACT counselor and as a member of their crew, I got to host my own radio show as a DJ, I got to be the publicist of our University's literary magazine, I was published in the English Aggie three times, I wrote my own book, I fell in love with my best friend and now I get to marry him, and of course, I got to do all of this while writing for The Odyssey.

I've gotten to write about anything and everything throughout the most transformative time in my life and I am so thankful for this organization that allowed me to do so. I've gotten to pour my little heart out and I can't recommend it enough. If you know someone in college, someone who is about to be in college, or you yourself are in college, find out if your campus has an Odyssey and JOIN! The opportunities I've had are ridiculous! I've gotten to write articles for numerous record labels, interview dozens of artists, get into any concert I wanted to for free, and write about new song releases for about two years. I got to be a makeshift music journalist living her best life and I'm so stinking grateful for all of these experiences.

Writing doesn't discriminate. You don't have to be a certain age or certain major or have a particular job. You just have to have something to say. And I think we all do. So write. Yeah, you. Write. Write a letter or a book or a blog or a story or anything you want to. Your words matter and you are important. When I first started college, having someone believe in me changed my whole life. And I believe in you.

So whatever that dream of yours is, go for it. I promise however you get there, however long it takes, whatever it ends up looking like, will be totally worth it. And even if you don't get there, the person you become along the way might've been what you were searching for all along. That person is amazing and they believe in you too, just like me. I no longer have an article to promote or an interview to tell you about as far as Odyssey goes, but you better believe I'll never stop writing. Whether it's a sticky note to my brother or another book, I promise I'll never run out of things to say. And that's the best part about writing. Even when everything else comes to an end, the writing never does. Words are infinite. Maybe that's how we can be infinite too.

Sincerely,

Haley walker // A Texas A&M University Alumna and a former Odyssey Content Creator