Fandom Etiquette

Fandom Etiquette

How to nerd-up without spoiling things for others.

159
Fandom Etiquette
Fantasy world

Being well-mannered is important in all worlds, even fantasy ones. Avoid mortal folly by following these simple guidelines:

1. Do not spoil anything.

This one is difficult, but it’s most crucial. I know you want to discuss every shocking detail of every twist and plot development your fandom of choice has to offer, but tweet cautiously. Your fellow fandom members who don’t have time to watch season premieres or don’t have money for the theater will thank you for it. If you must post a spoiler, always clearly indicate a warning.

For example: I applaud the Internet for keeping "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" spoilers down to a minimum. I'm not even mad that this Twitter account ruined a major plot point for me.

2. Don’t fan-shame.

Regardless of whether you are a 20-something who's read the entire "Harry Potter" series five times, you should not discourage the 11-year-old who is just now discovering the literal magic that is the Sorcerer’s Stone. Even the 50-year-old—just come to terms with the fact that people discover fandoms at different times. One-upping other fans about how much trivia you know only hinders the fandom building. Be welcoming to newcomers, and patiently await the day you can argue with them over Snape’s morality.

3. Reverse geekism is a thing.

I coined this phrase because I knew of no other term to describe this type of prejudice. Since being called a “geek” is no longer a term of ridicule and it's become trendy to adhere yourself to a following— Trekkies, Whovians, Bookwalkers, etc. But it has actually become a social stigma if you don’t like to read fantasy, play video games or watch superhero movies. Instead of mocking those who have never heard of Ray Bradbury, we should either kindly share with them "The Martian Chronicles" or let them be. Not everyone on the planet will be interested in science fiction or fantasy, and that’s OK.

4. Being a fan doesn’t give you superiority.

I don’t care if you can recite the first chapter of "The Fellowship of the Ring" by heart in Quenya. Or if you claim to understand the inner workings of a character’s mind better than the author. Or if you beat me every single time in Cosmic Encounter. It doesn’t make you more of a fan or a better person.

5. Have fun and others will, too.

The worst thing you could possibly do as a fan is take yourself and your fandom too seriously. The phrase “too much of a good thing” is key here. You don’t want to burn yourself out to the point you end up losing interest in your fandom or turning others away. Interact with other fans and explore other fandoms. Take a break from alternate universes and discover the wonders this universe holds. Then return to your favorite fandom and enjoy it with a fresh mind. Cosplay, binge watch or write fanfiction, but don’t immerse yourself so fully in fantasy that you lose sight of reality.

You joined a fandom because you were interested in a TV show, a movie, a book series, a music group or a game. No one forced that interest on you; you just liked it. You should be able to geek out (or not geek out) over whatever you want without being patronized or scorned, and that goes for everyone else on the planet. Underneath a shiny magical exterior, the majority of fandoms' source materials promote virtues like kindness, friendship and equality. Bringing those lessons to reality is the most admirable way to nerd-up.