Fall's Gift: Boots

Fall's Gift: Boots

A Guide to Men's Boots

166
Fall's Gift: Boots
HiConsumption

I, like most people I've know, love fall. I could go on for pages and pages about fall's distinct coffee flavors, sweater weather, and vibrant tree colors. Today, though, I'll try to contain my excitement to one fall staple: boots! There's no better time for boot wearing than fall. A good pair of boots in the fall really makes me feel "in the season". For me this means hikes and coffee shops, but wearing that perfect pair of boots lets everyone feel fall differently. So today I'm going to help the guys out there find that great pair of fall boots (and a few tips on how to make them last the winter). Though this article is specifically geared towards men, ladies feel free to use some of this advice to up your fall style too!

Chelsea Boots: Chelseas are my personal favorite type of boots. They're just so sleek and simple. And because of this, they're the most versatile boot you'll find anywhere. You can wear them with a t-shirt and jeans to dressing them up to a suit and everywhere in between. Yes, I just said you can wear boots with a suit. This is a thing, I assure you. Try it! Have fun with it! You'll be surprised with the results.

Chukka Boots: These are incredibly popular around my area. Like Chelsea boots, Chukkas are highly versatile and can go from casual to even business casual (blazers, sports jackets). Don't try to wear them with a suit, though. They're just a little too casual. They also have a sort of country look and feel compared to the Chelsea's urban feel.

Work Boots: If all you wear is casual outfits, these are the boots for you. They're wonderfully casual, super rugged, and exude that manly sort of confidence that boots are known for. Work boots come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but all are casual and go best with casual outfits.

As for choosing the right type for you, try to pick what matches your personal style. Which can you imagine yourself wearing? Do you like dressing up more than your peers? Do you rock that casual look every day? Pick the boot that best fits your personal style and you won't go wrong.

While we're on the topic of buying boots, it'd be wise to prepare for winter where their functional nature really shines. Consider what kind of winters you experience where you live. For example, do you get mild winters with not much snow? Then a suede boot might be best for you (unless you buy from Thursday Boot Co., link below). Suede shouldn't be worn when it's raining or snowing and is really more of a fall material. If you live where winters are harsh and the snow is always deep (like me), then here are some suggestions to make sure your boots last and you stay warm.

First, look for what is called a "Goodyear welt" (pictured above) that prevents rain and snow from getting in and damaging the boots. It can be seen as a stitched line that runs the outer length of the shoe along the outskirts of the sole.

This next one may seem a bit obvious, but it's worth mentioning regardless: rubber soles are much preferred to leather soles in harsher climates. As a result, you'll find that your boots last much longer and sustain through more wears.

Insulation isn't a must, but depending on how cold it gets where you are, insulation may be a lifesaver. And it can feel like a cozy blanket on your feet. That said, boots with insulation tend to cost a bit more (again, unless you buy from Thursday).

If you feel like pulling the trigger on a new pair of boots, Thursday Boots are worth a look. The price for the value you're getting is ridiculous (they range from $150-$200 on most of their shoes). I know this is out of many people's price range, but how much you get is amazing. The quality is extremely high for the price point, each comes with interior lining and a Goodyear welt, as well as excellent customer service (which I have myself experienced). I myself have a pair of black dukes and I love them to death. If you've got the money, give them a try! You won't be let down.

As a note to those that like the appearance of suede boots, Thursday makes suede boots that are waterproof, so they're safe from rain and snow. These are perfect if you like the look of suede and have harsh winters in your area.

As for inspiration on what to pair them with, here are some outfit ideas (courtesy of Pinterest, an excellent resource for style inspiration for the record).

If you find yourself intrigued in men's style and fashion after reading this article, try subscribing to Alpha M on YouTube! The topics he focuses on are broad, but I would recommend looking at his style-related content.

Thursday's site: https://thursdayboots.com/

Alpha M's YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaMconsulting