Fall Fashion: 19 Ways To Wear Scarves
Clothing

19 Fall-Inspired Ways To Wear Your Scarf This PNW Pumpkin Spice Season

They keep your neck warm as you walk to class, can be used as a lap blanket, and add color and texture to your wardrobe.

203

Fall is approaching in the Pacific Northwest. The leaves have begun to change, and a breeze has started to roll through. Which means... scarf season! They keep your neck warm as you walk to class, can be used as a lap blanket, and add color and texture to your wardrobe. Don't be fooled though! Wrapping a scarf around your neck once is not the only way to wear these functional accessories.

Here are different creative ways to use scarves this season:

Fly Away Vest.

Instead of buying a bunch of shawls or light jackets to act as accents to your outfits, use your wide scarves. Tie the corners together, slide your arms through the holes, and admire your comfy and flowy visage. What is great about this style is that it softens your outfit visually. It will not keep you too warm, so this would not be a great option if you need to protect from heavier winds.

Up-cycled Poncho.

Snags and rips can make you question if wearing the scarf is worth it, but take advantage of them. Of course, this hinges on the severity and location of the rips in question, but consider taking a very sharp pair of scissors to it before throwing the scarf out. Check out this pin where a line was cut into the scarf to make it a poncho. Add a simple stitch around the edge of the cut to protect from fraying. At the very least it could revive a favorite scarf as an around-the-house accessory.

Twist & Tie.

For shorter scarves try this twist and tie method. Have the center of the scarf against the back of your neck, then pull both ends of the scarf forward. Gently twist the two ends around each other so that the ends interlock but return to their original sides. Next tie the ends behind your neck. Make sure you don't pull it too tight of course. This style adds a nice collared effect to an outfit.

Low Knot.

You don't have to twist and weave a scarf into complicated patterns to get a fresh look. Go simple and try tying the ends together like in this pin to achieve a renewed and relaxed look.

6 Ways To Wear An Infinity Scarf.

My favorite idea out of this graphic is to open the infinity scarf, pull it over your head and down to your waist, twist once, and pull the resulting loop over your head. I love the crisscross it makes across the torso. I also really like the simple infinity twist, because it adds a little flair to the usual look. I won't break down each idea, but I encourage you to check it out.

Belted Down.

For a day where it's not quite cold enough for a proper jacket but you need some coverage, try this with your blanket scarf. Open up the blanket scarf completely, then fold in half so that you have a long rectangle. Drape your folded scarf over your shoulders and hold it in place around your waist with a belt of your choice. This is a great way to show off your scarf's pattern over a solid colored shirt.

Accent Sleeves.

Have a sleeveless shirt that is perfect for the fall season, except that it doesn't cover your arms at all? No worries! Instead of covering up the cute shirt with a scarf shawl, take the scarf and drape it over your shoulders like you were going to use it as a shawl, then tuck the ends of the scarf under your arms and tie them together behind your back. Your arms will be covered, and the scarf will accent the shirt you are wearing.

The Tie.

Short and long scarves alike can be tied as though you were tying a tie. Wearing your scarf this way creates a clean, simple, and put together look. Plus, you learn a valuable skill. You'll be able to teach or at least help others who struggle with tying their ties.

Faux Collar.

Have a short scarf or a silk one, you can follow these instructions to create an easy fake collar. A simple sweater can look revived with a scarf as a collar, whether the scarf is patterned or not. The great thing about this is that you don't have to stitch or fasten the scarf together permanently to keep the folds in place, a small magnet will suffice.

Half-tied.

The blanket scarf swoops in again, for this voluminous way to weave and tie a scarf into a warm statement design. It may take a second to follow along with all the steps but it's worth it! This design will surely keep the cold at bay.

Knotty!

Tie a knot at the base of each end of the scarf, and let it hang around your neck. This is a style that is all about the fashion statement. If you need to stay warm, consider a style like half-tied or belted down. The knotty style works best with skinnier scarves.

Figure Eight.

Take a long scarf, and fold it in half so that you still have a long loop. Hold the loop in your left hand and the ends of the scarf in your right hand, as it is around your neck. Pull the ends in your right hand, through the center of the loop in your left hand. Next twist the loop once and pull the ends of the scarf through the newly twisted loop. Vwala! You have a figure eight shaped scarf!

Waterfall.

A scarf with tassels or thin braided ends works the best for the waterfall style, because they add to the layering of the look. This style is for a cooler day when you want to keep warm.

Cross & Tug.

Unlike some of the other ways to weave and twist your scarf, this one is not voluminous. This style lays flat and is both elegant and collected. It offers great coverage and protection from the elements, depending on which scarf used.

Add Buttons!

Take a blanket scarf that you really love and sew on buttons along one edge, and cut slits in the other end of the same side. This creates a shawl that will keep itself up, no belt or pin required. It's a great look for a casual day.

The Silk Belt.

There are two great ways to use a silk scarf. The first is you can fold it to easily slide through your belt loops and tie, like a regular belt. Second is to fold the scarf wider and tie it around your waist like an obi belt, though this requires a longer silk scarf.

Simple Twist.

Shorten a long thin scarf by twisting it around itself like in this picture. This is easier than braiding several thin scarves together or looping a scarf around itself repeatedly to replicate a braided look. Though it won't offer much protection from the wind or retain much heat, it will act as an accent to an outfit like a necklace would.

Beads And Charms.

Speaking of wearing a scarf instead of a necklace, bling it up with scarf beads and charms. Charms can be simple like a ring, with your initial hanging from it, to hold your scarf in place. Or you can choose to go flashier and add beads and large charms, to transform the whole into a necklace. Etsy and Amazon are affordable and easy places to find beads and charms to add to your accessories collection. You can also get a length of big jewelry chain and fasten a silk scarf to that.

Pin It!

Pins are great because they can be so diverse in style and multi-functional. Drape the scarf over one shoulder and use a pin to hold the ends in place at your opposite hip, like this. Use a pin instead of adding buttons to your blanket scarf instead of belting it in place or making a poncho. Do you have some family crest, symbol, or heirloom pin? Wear it as proud flair!

Whether the scarf is thin or small, long or short there's a way to make it add to your outfit versus dull your glow.