Why Fall Is The Best Time Of Year

Why Fall Is The Best Time Of Year

Greater things are about to happen...

20
Why Fall Is The Best Time Of Year
Wallensteyn

Fall signifies the return of school, pumpkin patches, boots and scarves. Every food item ever imagined gets altered so it includes pumpkin spice somehow. Days get shorter and in most geographical locations, the weather gets cooler.

A little over a month ago was the first day of fall, which is a joke to all of Los Angeles. In LA, we are only familiar with having blue skies and temperatures over 80 degrees so the concept of leaves changing colors and breezy winds that carry the scents of pumpkin spice and hot cider seems mythical. It’s easy to believe that fall was called “fall” because “leaf fall down,” but here, it makes way more sense to call it “fall” because “school grade fall down.”

The Tuesday after “the first day of fall,” I was driving to school at 8:30 a.m., really dreading the fact I was about to sit in a two-hour physical science class. That morning, there was a strong wind that attacked the San Fernando Valley and I had a feeling we were going to have a very long season with tornado winds and Medusa hair everywhere.

“Sad Machine” by Porter Robinson started playing on shuffle and as I’m turning onto the side street next to CSUN, these orange leaves start hitting my windshield and after the brief second I thought the world was ending, I realized fall was here and I went from an Ebenezer Scrooge attitude to feeling like jolly-AF Barney. As I was about to turn onto campus, I watched as more and more leaves flew across the sky.

“Sad Machine” was finished playing and I was kicked back into reality. I tried going back and replaying it, but it wasn’t the same. It was time to stress about parking and pray I find a spot before my class started.

In that same week, the weather went back up to 100º. The leaves hitting my windshield and Porter Robinson did me so dirty; I never felt more betrayed. I really believed fall was here to stay. And then it got hot. The weather had me so fooled. I was as ready as SpongeBob to pull out my boots and over-sized sweaters and cute knit socks from the back of my closet.

Daylight savings time has officially happened and fall couldn’t feel any more present and real. During the day, it’s about 65º and at night, it gets down to an even colder temperature. All I know is that I hate walking from the library to my car at night when it feels like you’re trapped in a freezer. But there’s more to fall than walking with your arms folded across your chest, wishing you have never left the warmth of your car.

1. LETTER WEATHER / hoodies

If you’re in a sorority or fraternity, you understand the excitement of getting to wear your letters again after a long summer.

2. HALLOWEEN, THANKSGIVING, CHRISTMAS, AND NEW YEARS

AHH SO EXCITING. Ok well technically, Christmas and New Years are in winter, but they’re all in the same time frame.

3. Netflix weather

Aside from “Netflix and chill,” there is a thing where weather is just so gloomy and you don’t want to do anything but watch Netflix all day. And it’s the best.

4. Candles and candle-lit rooms

Candles that smell like “mahogany teakwood” (thanks Bath and Body) are sent from above. And the way candles light a dark room feels so cozy and relaxing. You have to experience it to understand.

5. Blankets, cuddling and sleeping

I love sleeping so this is really cool and I enjoy it. Just think of wrapping yourself in a blanket burrito and feeling toasty and warm. It’s amazing.

6. Harry Potter marathons

Harry Potter is already really good, but Harry Potter in the cold months is even better.

7. Pumpkin things

Pumpkin spice lattes, jack-o-lanterns, pumpkin pie, babies in pumpkin costumes, pumpkin patches, my cat named Pumpkin… so many heart eyes right now.

Remember all of the good things that come out of fall and may you wrap yourself under your blankets with a mug of hot chocolate a lot this season!