Failures Happen, And They Don’t Define You

Failures are only lessons to learn from.

139

Last Friday, on March 30th, I had my boards to be a certified nurse assistant in the state of Michigan. I had never done anything like this before so I didn’t know what to expect and was super nervous.

The whole week before the test, I spent most of my time in the library studying for the exam.

There was a written test and then a skills test. The written test was 60 multiple choice questions, and for the skills test, I had to perform four skills out of eighteen skills that I had to memorize. There is also a pretty specific order that you have to do things, and if you miss the slightest thing, you can fail the skill.

I worked the night before from 10:30 pm to 7 am, then had to go straight to my boards that we’re about forty minutes away in Farmington Hills.

Around 3:30 am, I started realizing how tired I was because I had been up since 9 am and couldn’t sleep until after my boards.

I then headed to my boards and was still exhausted but I knew I had to try my best to push through.

However, I had to wait till about 12:45 to even begin my skills test, and while I waited I kept nodding off because I was so tired. I then finally took my skills test, and I passed 3 out of 4 skills. However, you have to pass all 4 to pass the skills test portion, so I failed.

To say I was bummed was an understatement. I heated myself up over it for a while during my drive home, but then I thought, hey I did the best I could. I also could not pick my test date so I couldn’t help that I had to work all night the night before.

This failure does not define me. It’s a lesson to learn from for next time.

All my love,

Kamille