who is dan reynolds

6 Things You May Not Have Known About Imagine Dragon's Frontman, Dan Reynolds

Reynolds suffers from ankylosing spondylitis, a severe inflammatory disease that affects the spine, and he uses his platform as an artist to advocate for the disease as well as talk about his own experience with it.

477
Dan Reynolds performing live in concert

Recently, I got to see Imagine Dragons in concert — a band that I have loved since "Radioactive" first hit airwaves back in 2012 and got listeners everywhere to take a dramatic inhale in and an even more dramatic exhale out. I've loved the band for so long, but until I saw them live, and experienced the amazing energy that every member puts into the performance, I haven't really thought much about their lead singer, Dan Reynolds. Reynolds was a force to be reckoned with onstage, a passionate singer that poured all kinds of emotion into every song he sang. After seeing the concert, I was so intrigued by Reynolds, and I found out how amazing the man was offstage.

1. Reynolds is vocal about his health issues

Reynolds suffers from ankylosing spondylitis, a severe inflammatory disease that affects the spine, and he uses his platform as an artist to advocate for the disease as well as talk about his own experience with it. He joined This AS Life to share his stories and other stories about living with AS. Reynolds has also shared his experiences with depression and wants to destigmatize mental health issues, especially through campaigns like Change Direction.

2. He supports the LGBTQ+ community

Reynolds is a very vocal supporter of the queer community, especially the LGBTQ+ youth, and even organized the LOVELOUD Foundation with an annual LOVELOUD Fest, that raises money to help teens who are at risk for suicide or drug use because of the unsupportive homes or communities they may live in.

3. He is also an active member of the LDS Church

Despite his engagement in the LGBTQ+ community, Reynolds still believes in his faith as a Mormon and uses his beliefs to justify supporting queer people as opposed to using his beliefs to shame queer people. Even if you don't agree with his religion, he is using it in an accepting and loving way.

4. Reynolds has spoken up about gun reform

The frontman has posted not only about March For Our Lives, but about how his daughter "deserves to attend a safe school where she never has to fear for her life," stating, "[T]his country must change. [W]e don't need AR-15s in our homes." Reynolds cares about not only his daughter's well-being but about other children in America who shouldn't have to have the threat of school shootings looming over them.

5. He is a family man who is raising sincere children

Reynolds does not let his passion for music affect his dedication to his children. He seems to be a devoted father who can't get enough of seeing his kids and showing them off and seems to treasure every moment with them. Reynolds has also posted about how his oldest daughter, Arrow, was mourning the death of MLK Jr. at the hands of white men because, "[T]hey shouldn't have done that because he was a good man," and she didn't know "why white people are so mean to black people." Reynolds seems to be raising children who are accepting of other minorities and who are aware of the travesties that have been committed against them.

6. Reynolds rallies behind indigenous Americans and their plights

Not only did the singer post this picture about the injustices Native Americans have in their history, but he also decided to post Native statistics that outline the current injustices that Native Americans face day in and day out.