An Extrovert Plagued with Thoughts

An Extrovert Plagued with Thoughts

Why no one is an absolute extrovert or absolute introvert.

3

In our generation's infinite quest to individualize ourselves further than before, another label has been created to categorize ourselves further: extraversion and introversion. But it really as black and white as we claim?  

People label themselves as an extrovert or an introvert, and then make excuses for why they act a certain way or refuse to act a certain way. According to Dictionary.com, introversion is defined as "the act of directing one's interest inward or to things" while extraversion "refers to being gratified and energized more by external, including social, stimulation."

But what happens when someone who claims to be extroverted finds themselves within their own heads?

As a social guy myself, I find myself thriving in an outgoing environment. I can walk up to any stranger and strike up a conversation with them about anything. It's always come natural to me. People would say this labels me as an extrovert, but I don't think I'm cool with that. I'm not cool with it because I don't think it's completely right.

Sure, I do well in social situations, but I'm also a guy who spends a vast quantity of time within his own head. Technically, that would make me an introvert too. How can one be extroverted and introverted? It's completely possible; you're not exclusively one or the other. As a human being, you have qualities of both.

What frustrates me the most is when people use this label as an excuse for a certain type of behavior. An introvert might refuse to go up and talk to someone, and then say "I'm an introvert, I don't like social interactions" when they, in fact, do want to talk to that stranger. By making an excuse for themselves provided by this self-label, they've held themselves back from doing something they want to do. 

Another example of this self-label being an excuse is when "extroverts" think it's okay to hear their own voice be the only voice in conversations. I'm talking about someone who talks so much that you literally don't have a say in matters. Ever deal with this? It's annoying, right? Well, some people will do this, and make the excuse that they're extroverted. By placing this self-label, they make an excuse for themselves to act out and talk too much. 

It all boils down to on truth: don't place these labels on yourself. In this highly individualized society, you already stand out. There are plenty of things that make you stand out in the crowd, so don't place this label on yourself - it will only hold you back.

I've seen "introverts" turn into social butterflies and fly into crowds. I've seen "extroverts" retreat within themselves, and resemble something like "The Thinker" statue. Humans are supposed to be social and sometimes retreat to their thoughts. Don't restrict yourself exclusively to one or the other.