Canvassing on Behalf of Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

It was an experience worth enduring.

71
Planned Parenthood

In 1973, the Supreme court in a ruling of 7-2, extended the right to privacy to include that a woman had right to choose whether or not to keep a pregnancy. Flash-forward to 2016, the monumental victory for women who understand the central importance of this right is still being attacked today. Last summer, Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), was front and center of the pro-life vs. pro-choice debate.

I'd like to first mention that until last summer, I never gave much thought about women's reproductive rights. In fact, it was one of the many things that I kept fart from my mind because I felt it simply did not apply to me and looking back now, I realize that it was selfish and ignorant. At the height of the Planned Parenthood video allegations, I got to raise funds on behalf of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. Yes, I was a canvasser. I was a canvasser who represented not only a voice that was drowning in a sea of baseless accusations, but most importantly, the voices of the many women, men, and children who needed PPFA for its health services.

Before becoming a canvasser, I was actually approached by another canvasser who I admittedly, I tried really hard to avoid due to spending hours at the DMV and Boston City Hall attempting to obtain my state issued i.d. However, as I came closer, my gaze on hers, and the couple walking in front of me successfully dodged her, I had a change of heart.That split second decision, is a decision I know I will never regret. I stopped, and as I listened to her powerful, and short "rap" about the importance of keeping PPFA clinics open, I realized that I until then, my brain wasn't finely tuned, and I began to question as to why I never opened my eyes more about the Planned Parenthood debate. Moreover, on the subject of abortion, why didn't I ever take a stance on where I was with it?

Later that day, I decided to become a canvasser, and I phoned in for an interview. Following successfully undergoing the application process, it was time to gain a new learning opportunity. I was thrilled to gain new learning experiences and get to know what Bostonians really thought of the pro-life vs. pro-choice debate.

Unfortunately, I didn't expect so much hostility from those who strongly objected abortion. I recall many instances where I receive cold shoulder, or stared down. What struck me most was when those who felt the need to attack me with words did it with so much hate in their heart, their eyes burned. I recall one man proudly telling me when I canvassed on Tremont st. that my parents should have used protection because I wouldn't then be doing this, and that same day one lady chased me accusing me of following Satan to his doorstep and hoped I would go to hell. Sadly, they weren't the worst people I'd come across in Boston. Of course, however many more inhumane treatments I received, day by day, my belief in what I was doing was the right thing strengthened. I never understood why I never got the chance to have a humane and civilized conversation with a pro-life person until one day in front of the Apple store on Boylston st. I met a nurse who was pro-life.

A pro-life advocate woman came and stood in front of me and first said, that she knew how unkind many of her fellows are. She was a nurse who'd been in the healthcare industry for over 20 years now, and has had many opportunities to witness the importance of life and its warmth. Although now I may not remember her name, I remember her kindness, honesty and her story of how she became a pro-life advocate. She ended the conversation by telling that, although she supported PPFA for every healthcare services they provided for America except for abortion.Needless to say she was the first, and only, pro-life advocate who'd ever had a conversation with me to tell me her story and why she supported her opinion.

I met of course, many pro-choice advocates, and those were the kind of people I looked forward to meeting everyday.

As the end of summer loomed near, I realized that I grasped the answer to the question I had asked myself from the very beginning. Canvassing for PPFA made me realize that I was 100 percent behind women's rights, and most importantly I firmly supported women's rights to choose.

I believe it was unfair the attack PPFA received. The videos surfacing that claiming that PPFA sold "baby parts" proved nothing but that PPFA is a major contributor to science with the tissues that remained after the procedures.

Every now and then I recall the many days I spent cooking in the sun standing and waving to passerby's, hoping that one of them would stop for me, and that no one would harass either me or my coworkers.