Studying Abroad In China

Studying Abroad In China: The First Of The Four Excursion Trips

The skyscrapers are number one around the world.

137
China

During the first weekend, we were invited to join in on the first excursion. We departed at about 8. On that day, the plan was to go to Clock Tower, Stanley Market, and Victoria Peak.

First we arrived at the Clock Tower, which is in Tsim Sha Tsui near the seashore of Victoria Harbour. This is a big and conspicuous pillar, with four clocks seen in four directions. It is like the traditional European tower. It is said that it has been there since the colonial era. We then took photos both at the Clock Tower and at the Victoria Harbour, which is the most important port in Hong Kong dividing the city into two parts. The Northern is Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon) and New Territories, the Southern side is the Hong Kong Island.

Seeing from the Tsim Sha Tsui, there are many internationally famous companies on the opposite side, including the UBS, JP Morgan, and Bank of America. Near the Clock Tower, there is Prudential Insurance Company. I used to intern there for a short time. There is also a space museum, a lot of shops, and the Peninsula Hotel which is a large, luxurious, and English style hotel located at the Avenue of Stars.

We then ate some foods nearby and went to the Victoria Peak which is the highest point in the whole city. The bus passed many rugged mountain roads. Climbing into the peak, there is a Peak Tram, but it is not what we wanted to go. We stood at the point, took photos, and enjoyed the spectacular city views. The skyscrapers are number one around the world.

Our final stop of the day was Stanley Market which is almost at the South Point of the entire Chinese mainland, near the South China Sea. The Stanley Market is near the Disneyland Park. We were dropped off by many indigenous stores because the local traditional culture is conserved in this area. There are still many villagers living in a quiet place far away from the crowded downtown. I then went to the Murray House, which is a former British headquarters responsible for managing the army in Hong Kong. Actually, it was rebuilt from the original business district. Nowadays, there is a prison in Stanley.