To My Sister Across Seas

To My Sister Across Seas

Thank you for being you.

5
To My Sister Across Seas
Annelien Remans

To my sister across seas,

I remember the first time I met you, at the airport on a summer night. We exchanged nervous smiles and I was tired from preparing for your visit, you were tired from the long hours it took you to arrive. You towered over my short family and I finally had an older sister.

The first few days I was with you were odd. I showed you around my small town, took you to eat your first hamburger, and showed you around your new American high school. We awkwardly ate breakfast together, and when my friends asked me what I did this summer, I bragged about having an exchange student.

You taught me so many things. You were the carefree spirit that would try to make me sing duets with you (even though I'm an awful singer.) You would stay up late doing homework, even though it didn't really matter that much anyways. You tried different sports and clubs, which showed me how much courage an 18-year-old can have. You always made the best out of every situation. When I felt constricted by the town I grew up in, you saw all of the aspects of it that makes it so great.

From your stories, I gained experience about a culture I would otherwise know nothing about. Listening to you tell me about where you are from, made for interesting conversations and a better understanding of who you are.

I miss the little things about you. The way you fell asleep every time we watched a movie, and how you pronounced certain words. I only had a short year with you, but in that time you became my sister and best friend wrapped up into one.

When I think of all of the things you did in your year here, I feel inspired to take risks and try things I have never done before. You played sports, were cast in the musical, and graduated high school- for the second time. When I watched you walk across the stage at graduation I felt a sense of pride and thought words I never would've imagined thinking, that's my sister.

Thank you for being you.

From,

Your sister across seas