Exams and GPA's aren't a measure of how smart you are

Exams & GPA's Aren't A Measure of How Smart You Are

Contrary to what your school may say, there are a lot of other factors that aren't calculated in a test.

9

Since we were little, we've all been taking tests, exams, and quizzes. The higher that students scored on a state test, the more money the school would get from the government. So, schools stopped teaching the curriculum and started teaching how to "ace the test." It became less creative for teachers to be able to teach since they now had a "checklist" of things they had to go over before the state exam date. And as a result, it has made a lot of students believe that unless that get a certain grade, they aren't intelligent.

Colleges often require a certain GPA in order for students to maintain their scholarships. They cover this by saying that someone who isn't trying is undeserving of a high scholarship, but what they really want are high GPA's to look better against other universities. This puts more pressure on students to do well while also looking for internships, clubs, joining frats, hanging out with friends and working. I have a few friends who have been unable to keep up with it all and have dropped out altogether.

The pressure of getting high scores is irrelevant to one's intelligence. It doesn't take into account how well they socialize, handle situations, how well they can do things hands-on, etc. However, there are many students who have made "grades" the center of their college life even though universities often have a lot more experiences to offer.

In order for students to possibly enjoy learning and not feel discouraged after a bad score or grade, schools need to start making changes to their curriculum. Rather than of having a checklist to get things done before a semester ends, students grades should be a reflection on how to pace a course. If the class average on a test is a "C", don't move on to the next chapter. Take an extra class or two to reteach areas where students had trouble or no understanding of the concept.

Curriculum changes are difficult to make, but there are also simple tactics that can be done in order to boost confidence in the student body. I've had teachers grade tests and then put them in a pile for kids to find their own. This can create anxiety as some students don't want others to see their grade in case they did poorly. Their grades should be confidential, and, if they do need extra help, email them or talk to them after class about tutoring or meeting at a certain time to go over problems they missed.

A little communication can go a long way. There is no need for students to feel that they are unintelligent due to a test or grade because it's not an efficient way of determining how smart someone is. If kids are encouraged, individually helped when needed, and not seen as a way to boost test scores or GPA's, more students will feel better about themselves and their education.