An Open Letter To My Ex-Best Friend

To My Ex-Best Friend, You Screwed Up Too, Don't Act Like This Is ALL My Fault

You can't blame me for the mistakes that you made.

483

Dear ex-best friend,

I'd ask how you're doing but I guess it doesn't matter. You won't see this either so this might have no meaning, but there's a lot that still needs to be said.

It'd be too cliche to say that everyone makes mistakes because we all know that. The thing is that you also made one, but you're refusing to take ownership of it. Instead, you're pinning me up as the evil, malicious-intentioned person who you told everyone to turn their backs on. Those were my friends, too, so that hurt.

But you don't care.

I'm still having trouble comprehending the mistake that I made because, to me, it wasn't a mistake. However, you seem to think that what I did (rather, what I failed to do) was the worst crime I could ever commit as your friend. Then you shut me out, never to speak to me again.

Despite my efforts to reach out to mend things, you denied me. That also hurt me at the time. But now I look at it and I'm not even a little sorry. The fact that I even had the courage to do that was a big deal and for you to have completely ignored me without even acknowledging my existence anymore is unforgivable.

I'm a person with a heart, feelings, emotions, my own thoughts, and I can have my opinion about how you handled this situation. My thinking is that it was a horrible mistake on your part. But there's no turning back now. If I could rewind time, I'd do everything the same way. That being said, that should say something about how I handled it compared to how you did. If anything were different, it'd be you having made it that way.

I've grown into thicker skin because of how you treated me and now I'm numb to all of the pain I was in.

You may think that I don't care about your situations and your life even after all of what I've said. But I do.

I just have to say that at this point, it's on you. You lost me and for that, I'm sorry. I have plenty of better friends who think so highly of me and know I'd never hurt anyone intentionally. If anything changes or you want things to be different, you have to do something about it. I've done what I can and you did nothing in response. I've learned from you and now I'm a better person after leaving this situation and finally putting it to rest.

Thanks for being someone completely different than I thought you were.

Have a nice life.