Everything You Need to Know Before Hitting the Polls

Important facts to know before casting your vote in the 2020 election

19
Apple.News

Tomorrow is November 3rd, 2020, a day that to many of us has become more of an idea than a reality. It is the day America will decide who will lead our country for the next four years. I was only seventeen when the last election took place, and was therefore unable to vote. Since then I have taken the time to educate myself on the importance of casting my ballot, as well as the implications of electing either candidate. A pandemic, an impeachment, riots sparked by a civil rights movement and more. Your vote is more important now than it ever was before. While prepping for the polls, here is everything you need to know.

Your vote is yours.

Your right to vote for whomever you choose is constitutionally yours. Just because you may think differently than your peers does not mean that you do not deserve to cast your vote. Step into the power of your vote and determine the candidate you believe this country needs. No one else has the power to decide for you.

Your vote is your truth to share, or not.

While party registration and voting records are public, who you specifically vote for cannot be shared. If your family or friends are voting one way but you are secretly voting another, that is for you alone to know. If you feel comfortable sharing who you vote for, congratulations! You are lucky to be in a position in which you feel safe disclosing your vote. But if not, your decision is safe to stay in the voting booth.

Smaller scale elections matter!

The presidential election is not the only race that will be decided on November 3rd. Your ballot will also contain candidates for congress, state senate, state assembly, and possibly others. When it comes to the way you live, local elections are imperative. So be smart, and stay informed. Smaller election votes are not ones to waste.

Budget for time at the polls

The time for mailing in your ballot has passed. If you are still planning to vote absentee, you must now drop off your ballot at your local polling place for it to be counted. Polls will be open from 6AM to 9PM. While the voting time frame may seem large, long lines and unforeseen setbacks always have a chance of making an appearance. Be sure to plan for these delays so that you can assure your vote will be cast in time.

Vote. Vote. Vote.

Whether you believe this election has already been decided or not, please still go use your vote. It's 2020. Nothing is certain. Your blue state may turn red or vice versa, there is no way to definitively know how things will turn out. So go exercise your constitutional right to vote, and let your voice be heard. Your vote and your voice matter.