Everything Wrong With 'The Bachelor' Franchise

A deep dive into the captivating series that dominates in views... and in breakups.

1252
https://www.everypixel.com/image-2657223908724177559

Let's face it, The Bachelor franchise is insanley popular and the chances of it ever going out of style are very slim. As someone who isn't a big fan of serial dating or fame hungry lovers, I have a few questions about the show and its legitimacy. Ultimately, the answers I seek lay with the producers of the show who control everything from behind the scenes, but it never hurts to do some personal investigating.

media0.giphy.com

For those of you who don't know anything about The Bachelor franchise, it first began with two television shows: The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. These shows run for approximately seven weeks straight. During this limited time frame, one lucky person is smothered and idolized by 30 people of the opposite sex. The number dwindles as the bachelor or bachelorette begins making connections and breaking hearts.

It sounds glamorous and fun but the reality of it is harsher than you'd expect. Since then, multiple spin off shows have been formed and they continue to attract killer ratings.

The franchise has generated great success, but in order to make good T.V. rules must be established. One of those rules prohibits contestants from eating on dates. But have no fear. As insane as it sounds, the rule is in place for our viewing pleasure. Chewing on camera is not at all attractive and it would greatly jeopardize a contestant's reputation; the horror. Eating can be gross and all, but I believe that the true tragedy is that of the beautifully plated, untouched, never eaten meals placed before contestants. There's also another monstrous rule in place that prevents contestants from getting paid. The only cast members who take any money home are the bachelor or bachelorette themselves.

Not only are there ridiculous rules, but there are far too few happy endings. For a show that has 20+ seasons, there are more breakups than success stories. You would think that this would cause for a decline in ratings; who can believe in love after that right? Wrong. To producers, these dramatic breakups mean that there are new single bachelors and bachelorettes ready to be recycled. The majority of past contestants resurface on spin off shows, adamant on finding love again.

Contestants who participate are well aware that the most eccentric, outgoing people make good T.V., and get the most air time. That being said, their motives for joining the show are rarely to find true love, but to instead acquire a large fanbase and social media following; allowing them to generate income through promotions. This is not to say that all Bachelor contestants desire fame and wealth post-air time, but it's an incentive for them to give producers the quality entertainment they're looking for.

If contestants aren't naturally charismatic or T.V. worthy, producers are known to step in to spice things up. According to past contestants, producers often act as quick fix therapists. They form bonds with contestants and use their friendship to give them bad advice. This can get tears flowing and ensue much needed drama. In many cases, producers have even been reported to have alleged romantic relationships with contestants vying for the bachelor or bachelorette's love.

Even with the amount of controversy surrounding this growing franchise, it still makes for good television. With a new bachelor already chosen for season 23, the series will forge on with its dramatic and captivating storylines.

Will you watch this season?

media2.giphy.com