Everything in Moderation, Including Moderation

Nobody looks back on their life and remembers the nights that they got enough sleep.

3326

We’ve all heard it somewhere: “live a balanced life to be happy,” or “everything in moderation.” Well I believe in another proverb that amendmends that statement and includes the fact that even moderation should be in moderation. Well what does that mean?

First, we have to face the fact that we are not all Renaissance men. This means we are not all going to be the best at everything. Instead, we all have passions and talents that make us special in different ways. If you are lucky enough to find your passion, then stick to it! Spend the extra time to get better at what you love and have an aptitude for. Develop your skills in that one area, and invent the next great idea to advance humanity.

Next, you are not a robot; you are a person. That means you are not your job, you are not your sport, you are not your possessions, and you are so much more than anyone can describe in one word. I learned this the hard way when I first got into college running. Nobody is asking you to eat, sleep, practice, and compete all while maintaining a perfect diet. We all have to live a little in order to keep our sanity, and even to keep our humanity. So, if you have an early morning practice the next day, once in a while, live a little and have the extra beer, or stay up the extra hour. In the long run it, will keep you from burning out.

Lastly, we all need to have fun once in a while and break routine. If you spend your whole life doing the same activities repeatedly, you are missing out on so many great opportunities. As a college student, I like to be in the habit of saying "yes" to pretty much anything, as long as it aligns with my morals - how else am I going to discover what I love? Sometimes I sacrifice sleep, sometimes I sacrifice eating healthy or eating at all, but I always make sure to get back to what truly matters afterward. In short, I am advising you to try everything in the world that you believe is morally right, but beware of losing sight of your priorities.

Keeping moderation in moderation means trying new things and making decisions out of your comfort zone, but it is only to take breaks from your passions in life. Stay on track with your long-term goals by keeping these adventures at a manageable level, and be sure to always keep your true priories in mind. Just remember that nobody looks back on their life and remembers the nights that they got enough sleep, but be sure to live a fulfilling life by keeping enough of a routine to follow your passions and be everything that you can be.