Everyone Should Travel Out Of The Country At Least Once And Here's Why

Experiencing other cultures will provide you with an amazing outlook.

54

Recently, I was given the opportunity to travel to Europe: Greece to be exact, and through making this journey, experiencing a different culture, eating different foods, hearing a different language, seeing different sights and learning about a long, rich history, I realized that everyone should have this same opportunity. In order for someone to be fully aware of their own history and culture as well as their own character and intelligence, it is beneficial for them to travel the world, to meet new people that are unique and the opposite of what they are used to and to be immersed in another city, another district and even better yet, another country. When I traveled to Greece I was introduced to a new landscape: a bustling city with lots of graffiti, small taverns with friendly owners, a communal way of eating and living, traffic rules that would scare even the bravest of drivers and the rich history of an ancient group of individuals. I realized that not everything is the same worldwide and that there is a different history for each group of people, whether it be a newer form of justice and independence that the Americans experienced or an ancient way of ruling and worshipping the Gods such as the Grecians. It is important to know that no matter the differences, we are all people and that we can connect with one another even when dealing with a cultural or language barrier. This is why traveling the world is so essential and becoming aware of and knowledgeable of other cultures is only positive and worthwhile. When you think about it, many other countries and people speak English and know of different districts, cities and states within America, but most of us are unaware of how things work overseas or abroad. By experiencing different cultures and learning about the journey that other people have gone through to reach their modern ways of life, you will not only sound smart, but you will really understand what it means to be an American; you will be able to say that you know more about the world than just what is in your own backyard and within your small circle of friends. If you get the chance to travel out of the country, no matter how scary or daunting it may seem, go for it because you will never once regret it. It may take a bit of time to become accustomed to the norms and regulations of whatever country you are visiting, but within no time, you will be not only getting by but you will learn how life goes on in this foreign and exciting place. If you have the chance to travel, take it. Take it and don't look back. When you return to your home country, don't forget the experiences you had and the people you met and take what you had the privilege of learning forward with you each and every day.