Everyone Should Join A Running Club

Everyone Should Join A Running Club

Running 3 or 4 miles isn't really as bad as you think.

109
Everyone Should Join A Running Club
Ashley Bellemare

You are probably reading this headline thinking "HECK NO" and, to be honest, I do not blame you.

Before I joined a run club I would have never considered running outdoors with a group of strangers on a weekly basis but it is hands down one of the best things I have done for myself in the past few weeks.

I have never been great at running and I was definitely one of the slowest people in the group but man is it so much fun.

Despite being the slowest and not knowing anyone at all it turned out to be such a blast. You spend time with people who love to run (yes, they exist) and you are challenged and motivated by the people around you. You are challenged in a way because you want to keep up with them and you are motivated by others to get moving in the first place.

The whole vibe of a run club is something I had never experienced before.

Everyone there had this camaraderie and kept the energy up through the 4 miles run like it was no problem. The weather definitely helps with this, a nice sunshine and cool breeze make the miles seem short when you are focusing on how wonderful it feels to just be outside.

And you most certainly do not need to be a speed demon to join a run club. I am one of the slowest runners I know. My father, who is 67, can run a mile in about 7 minutes and I am trotting along at about 9 so there is no pressure to be fast at a run club because everyone goes at their own pace. Another great piece about run clubs is that you can meet so many people. Many run clubs go out for food and drinks after so you can get to know more people from the area. If you just moved or are looking to network in a different way a run club could be a great idea for you!

There is no time like the present so strap up those sneakers, throw on your shorts and find your nearest run club!

Fleet Feet West Hartford, CT meets Wednesday nights at 6:30 pm!